I have Dropbox on my home computer and on my work computer. I have them synced. However, I am changing jobs and would like to delete Dropbox files and folders from my work computer. How can I do this safely? Please inform. Thank you.
- Question from Dropbox Community
Since Dropbox is one of the most popular and famous cloud storage services, you choose to backup files to Dropbox to protect your files or free up local space on any device like a personal computer, desktop computer, or mobile phone.
After you upload files to Dropbox, they will be saved on the cloud and take up some cloud storage in your Dropbox account. Are you looking for a useful solution to how to delete Dropbox files effectively?
How to delete Dropbox files step by step
How to delete from Dropbox in an easy way? Here, we list 3 effective methods in this part. You can delete files from Dropbox from different devices after looking through them.
Method 1. Delete Dropbox files from the web page
Many of you perform Dropbox secure upload on its official website, and you can delete Dropbox files from the web page as well. Follow the detailed steps here, then you will know how to delete a file in Dropbox on the website.
1. In your browser, go to the Dropbox official web page. Please sign into your Dropbox account here properly.
2. In the All files section, you can see all your files and folders. Locate the file or folder that you want to delete, and click on the three-dot icon next to it. Choose Delete on the pop-up menu.
3. You will receive a confirming message that says “Are you sure you want to delete xxx (your filename) from your Dropbox?” Click the Delete button to confirm your deletion.
If you need to delete a bulk of files or folders, you can tick the boxes in front of them, then click on the Delete button on the top menu.
If your Dropbox is full and you want to delete files to free up some storage space, remember to delete them completely in the Deleted files part.
Method 2. Delete Dropbox files on the desktop client
If you are more used to syncing computer to Dropbox on the desktop, you can delete Dropbox files on the desktop client as well. Follow the easy guide here.
1. In the Dropbox desktop client, open your Dropbox folder.
2. Locate Dropbox files that need to be deleted, and right-click on them to choose Delete.
3. When you see the Dropbox window saying “Delete xxx from your Dropbox account and all devices? If you just want to save hard drive space, see sync options”, please click on Delete everywhere to confirm it.
Method 3. Delete Dropbox files on mobile app
Dropbox provides a mobile app for users and you can set up Dropbox automatic sync on Android or iOS phones easily. How to delete a folder in Dropbox or delete Dropbox files on the mobile app? Here is the detailed guideline for it.
1. Launch the Dropbox desktop client on your phone.
2. Tap the File icon at the bottom. Then click on the three-dot icon next to the file that you want to remove.
3. Choose Deletion to remove the file from the Dropbox mobile app.
Tip: Get more Dropbox storage for free
Since many of you need to delete Dropbox files to free up more cloud storage space in your Dropbox account, we provide you a useful way to get Dropbox 100GB storage or more space for free.
A free cloud backup service called CBackup can meet your needs - CBackup. It provides a core feature called combine cloud storage, which allows you to merge more than 2 accounts from any cloud drive into a combined cloud with larger cloud storage.
To increase your Dropbox cloud storage space, you can choose to merge all your Dropbox accounts or merge your Dropbox account and other cloud drive accounts.
2. Click on the Storage button on the left panel. Choose Dropbox and any cloud drive to Authorize Now. Follow the easy instructions to give CBackup authorization to your cloud drive accounts.
3. After adding all your cloud drive accounts to CBackup, on the Storage page, press + Add Combined Cloud.
4. Check the cloud storage accounts that you want to combine, and then click on Next. You can manage the order of these cloud drive accounts. After that, click on Combine to form a combined cloud now.
Now, you can see your combined cloud in the cloud list. When you create a backup task, you can choose Backup > Backup PC to Combined Cloud to enjoy the bigger cloud storage space for free.
Notes: As a professional cloud backup service, CBackup offers some backup and sync features that can help you a lot.
Backup PC to Public Cloud: In CBackup, you can backup files to cloud directly after you add your cloud drive accounts to CBackup.
Cloud to Cloud Sync:Cloud to cloud sync is a core feature in CBackup, which allows you to transfer files between different cloud drive accounts on one interface.
Written in the end
That’s all about how to delete Dropbox files on different devices like computers and phone. If you are removing Dropbox files for larger available storage in your Dropbox account, you can try the cloud service CBackup to free up space on Dropbox by merging many cloud drive accounts directly.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup