How to Backup Files to Dropbox Automatically | 3 Ways
Trying to backup files to Dropbox automatically from computer, Android phone or iPhone? Find the Dropbox backup solutions to backup files to Dropbox easily.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
Founded in 2007, Dropbox is the most popular cloud storage on the market and it continues to improve its features. Every user begins with 2GB free storage by signing up with Dropbox. It offers easy and secure uploading with 256-bit AES and SSL/TLS encryption and there is no file size upload limit with drag and drop function. Why need to backup files to Dropbox, mainly because of the following advantages.
☛Great sharing: Dropbox lets users save space and share files quickly. You can share your files with anyone, even those without Dropbox accounts. By sharing, people can get access to your file with a password and adding the expiration dates to the link you send to share your files. Especially for teamwork, that’s where Dropbox does a good job.
☛Easy to use: Plus, for those who need to refer to the previous version of any documents, you can restore deleted files up to 30 days after they were removed. Also, Dropbox has a document scanning option, which is a time saver as after you scan a document, the system will tweak the scan and upload it as a PDF or JPEG file to the cloud.
☛Dropbox is available: computer apps for Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, and Linux computers; mobile apps for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone smartphones and tablets.
Since Dropbox is such an excellent cloud storage service that simplifies life and work. Many users would like to save computer files to Dropbox due to different purposes. If you are planning to backup files to Dropbox, please read on. Here is an ultimate guide on how to backup files to Dropbox.
Generally, you can backup files to Dropbox in three ways. The first way is to visit the Dropbox website and upload your files manually. The second way is to install the desktop app on your computer, then, adding files to your Dropbox folder and let Dropbox automatically sync them. For mobile device users, you can also backup files via the Dropbox mobile app. Please read on to check the detailed steps of the three ways.
How to backup entire computer to Dropbox? If you want to automatically backup files to dropbox, Dropbox has a desktop app to help you backup Dropbox folder on Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, and Linux computers. Download and install the desktop application on your PC. Sign in to your Dropbox account after running it. If no, just create one.
Step 1. Download and install the Dropbox desktop application on your computer.
Step 2. Sign in to your Dropbox account.
Step 3. By default, the Dropbox folder will appear on your computer, located at C:\Users\Computer Name\Documents\Dropbox. To backup computer to Dropbox, you just need to directly drag and drop them into that folder.
Step 4. The newly added data will be automatically uploaded to the Dropbox cloud storage.
The free Dropbox account is limited to 2GB. If you want to get more storage, you can invite friends or just pay for it.
Dropbox only sync the folders in Dropbox folder, if you perfer to sync folders outside of Dropbox folder, what should do you? Please get the easy ways to get Dropbox sync folders outside the Dropbox folder.
Another way to backup files to Dropbox is using the Dropbox website. If the number of files to be uploaded is not large and you are quite familiar with the Dropbox file upload process, you can also choose to manually upload files one by one into Dropbox.
1. Go to the Dropbox website and sign in to your account.
2. On the Dropbox main page, click Upload button > Upload files or Upload Folder. In this way, file size up to 20GB.
1. Install the Dropbox app from the App Store or Google Play.
2. Turn on Wi-Fi before installing apps or uploading files to save your mobile data.
3. Open Dropbox and tap Sign Up. Enter your name and contact information, then tap Create Account to complete the sign-up. If you already have a Dropbox account, tap Sign in and log in with your Dropbox username and password.
4. Tap the "+" icon. If you are using an Android device, the + icon is located in the lower-left corner.
5. Tap Create or upload file (iPhone) or Upload files (Android) to select the file(s) you want to upload, then tap Upload files. This will backup files to Dropbox folder.
All of the above methods need to manually add files to the service when users have new files. Is there any more convenient way to help users backup computer to Dropbox? In fact, you can use some powerful third-party tools, such as CBackup, which provides a professional method to back up any local files to Dropbox, and you can enable scheduled backup to enable automatic upload from PC to Dropbox, freeing your hands.
1. Download CBackup, create a CBackup account and log in.
2. Click My Storage on the left side, and click + Add Cloud button, then choose Dropbox and hit Add. Then follow the on-screen guide to allow CBackup to access your cloud storage.
3. Go to Backup Tasks > New Task to create a backup task. Click Add Source to select files from your Windows PC, click Add Destination > Single Cloud > Dropbox to confirm the backup destination.
4. Go to Settings > Scheduled Backup, to enable this function, select the frequency or specific time that the task needs to be automatically performed.
5. Click Start Backup to backup your files from PC to Dropbox.
As mentioned above, Dropbox only provides 2GB of storage for free, which is intolerant to users who use Dropbox as a backup solution. Just a few videos may use up this space. Is there any way to get more Dropbox backup space for free?
Share a unique link with your families, friends, or colleagues. If they click the link and sign up or install Dropbox on their computers, you will get 500 MB of bonus space for each. But the maximum is 16GB. Once you reached the maximum, you can no longer get free space in this way.
Connect Facebook and Twitter accounts to Dropbox, you can collaborate the contacts in those social media sites. You can also get 125MB for each account.
Dropbox provides each user with 2GB free cloud storage. So, you can register two or more accounts to enjoy countless 2GB. If you don't want to switch the accounts frequently, you can merge Dropbox accounts together in one place with CBackup, which is a cloud backup service that provides the option to combine cloud storage accounts with just one login. Here are the steps to use CBackup:
1. Log in to CBackup, click My Storage on the left side, and click + Add Cloud button, then choose Dropbox and hit Add. Then follow the on-screen guide to allow CBackup to access your cloud storage.
2. After adding, all your Dropbox accounts are listed here. Click the My Storage + button, you will see a New Combined Cloud option in the menu. Click it.
3. Tick the box next to the cloud storage account that you want to combine. After checking, click on Next.
4. Then, you will have a Combined Cloud in your clouds list. You can choose the Combined Cloud as backup destination to enjoy huge backup space.
✎Note: CBackup also offers the PC cloud backup service to automatically backup computer files to CBackup Cloud in Windows PCs. If you need a more specialized tool for heavy backup tasks, you can use CBackup to easily backup, it’s more cost-effective than other cloud backup services on the market.
By following the methods above, you can easily backup files to Dropbox. With no doubt that Dropbox is a good backup solution for your precious, but the free storage space may be running out quickly. If you don't want to upgrade for more storage, you can try to get more free storage through the tricks provides by Dropbox or CBackup.
What's more, the data in Dropbox is not absolutely secure, so, you'd better backup Dropbox to Google Drive/OneDrive/FTP/SFTP directly with CBackup just in case, saving you a lot of time and energy.