Can I backup Windows 10 files to Dropbox automatically?
I am looking for a way to copy or backup a folder on the Windows 10 computer automatically to Dropbox every week. I am an audio engineer, and my audio console utilizes all of its inner workings into a small file. This is why having the console work directly from a synced folder in Dropbox could pose a reliability problem. Right now this is being done manually. Would love to find a way to automate this. I appreciate your help!
- Question from dropboxforum.com
Don’t worry If you are stuck in Windows 10 backup to Dropbox problem, today we will show you different ways to backup Windows 10 to Dropbox with detailed steps.
In the next part, it will be three parts: backup Windows 10 folder to Dropbox, backup Windows 10 system files to Dropbox, backup Windows 10 entire computer to Dropbox.
Backup Windows 10 folders to Dropbox in 2 Ways
You will find different ways to backup Windows 10 folder to Dropbox with the following words:
Way 1. Set Up to Automatically Backup Windows 10 Folder to Dropbox
To backup Windows 10 to Dropbox, please install the latest version of Dropbox desktop app, then sign in to your Dropbox account or create a new Dropbox account and sign in.
1. Start the Dropbox desktop app on your Windows 10 computer, then tap the Dropbox icon on the system tray, click your Dropbox profile, and select Preferences.
2. Tap the Backups tab, and press the Set up button under the This PC section.
3. You could tick the Windows 10 folder to backup, like Documents, Desktop, and Downloads. Then press Set up.
Tips: You could click Add folders to choose other Windows 10 folders, such as Music, Pictures, and Videos.
4. (Optional) You will be prompted for the Dropbox Plus free trial if you are using Dropbox Basic Plan, click Continue with Basic > Yes, continue.
★Tips: Get answers here If you get some errors like the following:
Can’t back up to both OneDrive and Dropbox: just remove the folder from OneDrive, and try again to backup the folder to Dropbox.
Dropbox and folder are on different drives: Make sure Dropbox and the folder you are backing up are in their default locations, then try again.
Disable Dropbox Backup on Windows 10
If you would like to turn off the computer backup for Dropbox, here it is:
1. Tap the Dropbox icon on Windows 10 system tray, and click your Dropbox profile, choose Preferences.
2. Tap the Backups tab, and click the Set up button.
3. Uncheck all the Windows 10 folders, and click Save to turn off Dropbox computer backup.
Way 2. Move Windows 10 Folder Location to Dropbox Folder
Except for the above way to perform Windows 10 backup to Dropbox, you could move the folder location to the location in the Dropbox folder, and it will automatically backup Windows 10 folders to Dropbox. This way is only available for these Windows 10 folders: Desktop, Documents, Download, Pictures, Music and Videos.
1. Create a new folder in the Dropbox folder to hold all your users' data. Then create new folders in that new folder, for example, create a Documents folder if you want to backup Documents folder to Dropbox, etc.
2. Please input %HOMEPATH% in Windows 10 search box, or press Win + R key combination to open Run dialog, then input %HOMEPATH% to open your Windows 10 account location.
3. Right-click the Documents folder and select Properties. Then select the Location tab in the window, and click Move... button.
4. Then choose a Dropbox location and click OK.
Then the Documents folder location is moved to the Dropbox folder, and it will automatically be backed up to Dropbox once the change occurs.
And you could repeat the above steps to move other folder locations to Dropbox folder, and then you could backup Windows 10 folder to Dropbox in automated mode.
However, the above two ways cannot help you backup other folders to Dropbox, if you want to backup other folders, please try the last way.
Backup Windows 10 Operating System to Dropbox
If you are intending to back up Windows 10 operating system to Dropbox, the free Windows backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard could help you a lot. Although Backup and Restore could help you create a system image, you probably encounter a Windows 10 system backup failed problem or create a system image not working for the USB drive.
Hence, please download AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup Windows 10 system to Dropbox with simple clicks:
1. Download and perform AOMEI Backupper Standard, then select Backup > System Backup subsequently.
2. Rename the Task Name, choose the Dropbox folder as the destination.
3. (Optional) Tap Schedule at the bottom of the window, and choose Daily, Weekly, and Monthly to backup Windows 10 regularly, here we choose Weekly and hit OK.
4. Press the Start Backup button, then choose Add the schedule and start backup now to backup Windows 10 system to Dropbox automatically.
Then the Windows 10 system backup will be synced to the Dropbox server automatically.
Important: Please ensure your Dropbox has enough cloud storage space to store Windows 10 system backup. Upgrade Dropbox account or try CBackup to get extra Dropbox cloud storage.
Dropbox Backup Entire Computer on Windows 10 with Best Way
To backup Windows 10 entire computer to Dropbox, the free cloud backup service CBackup will do you a big favor.
You could backup entire computer, including Windows 10 system files, user profiles, installed program files, system settings and other your personal files, to Dropbox easily with CBackup desktop app.
It provides you free 10GB cloud storage (CBackup Cloud), and you could backup files to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, CBackup Cloud, even the mixed cloud storage (merge different clouds into one big backup space).
2. Tap the Storage tab on the left, choose Dropbox, and click Authorize Now. Then follow the steps to grant authority to CBackup, which allows accessing your Dropbox files.
3. Then edit the Cloud name, and Storage path, then tick the option "Note: please don't modify or delete the CBackup path or backup files in your Dropbox account.", and click OK.
Backup Windows 10 Entire Computer to Dropbox
1. Select the Backup tab, then click the Backup PC to Public Cloud button to create a Dropbox PC backup task.
2. Modify the Task Name, select Windows 10 entire computer as the source, then choose Dropbox as the target location.
3. (Optional) Tap Settings at the bottom left, tick the Set a backup schedule for automated backup option under the Scheduler tab, choose a time to backup: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or One time only, and click OK.
★Tips: With Settings, you could enjoy the following features:
Enable email notification to get email alert after backing up PC to Dropbox is finished with a success or failure.
File Filter allows you to backup all files, including or excluding the file types you want to or don’t want to backup to Dropbox.
4. Press the Start Backup button to backup Windows 10 entire computer to Dropbox automatically.
Besides, Dropbox is not a backup solution and if you intend to back up Dropbox, the CBackup is much more helpful, because you could perform cloud to cloud backup, such as sync Dropbox to Google Drive or vice versa, or between other clouds.
Important: If your Dropbox lack storage to store Windows 10 system backup or an entire computer backup file, it’s highly recommended to try CBackup to merge multiple Dropbox accounts, even other clouds (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.) to increase Dropbox cloud storage.
According to the above solutions, it’s easy for you to perform a Windows 10 backup to Dropbox, no matter what you are backing up, files and folders, Windows 10 operating system, or even the entire computer, you could follow the step-by-step guide to backup computer to Dropbox more flexibly. Meanwhile, you could backup hard drive to Dropbox as well.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup