OneDrive is a popular cloud storage service, providing comprehensive file storage features. You will save many important files and folders on OneDrive to protect them and access data easily. Sometimes, you need a previous version of the file to get older information. For this, you want to make OneDrive restore previous version.
OneDrive version control is a feature provided by OneDrive. Generally, OneDrive will save an old version of your file for up to 30 days. How to restore an older version of OneDrive files? Read this article, you will get the correct operation steps to get an older version of your OneDrive file.
Make OneDrive restore previous version: 2 options
If you want to let OneDrive restore old version, there are 2 different methods. To restore a few files selectively, you can consider using the first method. To restore a number of files to previous versions, please try the second option to save some time and effort.
Option 1. Restore a previous version of a file
Generally, you can make OneDrive recover previous version of your file because OneDrive provides cloud backup with versioning. For this, you can restore a previous version of a file from the OneDrive desktop client or the OneDrive official web page directly. Let’s see how to do it.
Restore a previous version of a OneDrive from desktop
1. Run the OneDrive desktop client and log into your OneDrive account.
2. Go to the OneDrive folder that contains your target file. Locate and right-click on your file. Choose the Version history option on the pop-up menu.
3. Then you will see this window. Click on the three-dot icon next to the target version, and select Restore. Then, your OneDrive file can be restored to a previous version selectively.
Restore a previous version of a OneDrive from the web page
1. Navigate to the OneDrive official web page, and log into your OneDrive account properly.
2. Likewise, find your target file and right-click on it to choose the Version history option.
3. Here you can see all versions of the selected file. Press the three-dot icon next to the target version. Then click on Restore.
Option 2. Restore OneDrive to an earlier date
The method above is suitable for you if you have a few OneDrive files to restore. However, if you have created bulk upload to OneDrive and want to restore them to previous version at once, this method is more effective for you. In this way, you can restore the whole OneDrive to an earlier date (within 30 days) so that you can get the previous version of your files.
Tip: This option is only available for Microsoft 365 users.
1. On the OneDrive official web page, log into your own OneDrive account.
2. Click on Settings icon > Options > Restore your OneDrive.
3. Choose an earlier date that you want your OneDrive files to restore. Then choose Restore.
Tip: Manage OneDrive version history easily
Since it is not easy to restore previous version of OneDrive file if you have a number of files that need to recover. We recommend you use a free cloud backup service with a versioning feature - CBackup to protect all versions of your files.
CBackup is a professional cloud service with unlimited clear backup versions of files. Once you create a backup via CBackup, it will keep all backup versions forever. Thus, you can restore your files to any previous version at any time.
In CBackup, you are allowed to back up files to cloud for free. Almost all mainstream public cloud drives are supported to be a backup destination, like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, and so on.
Let’s learn how to create a OneDrive backup with versioning via CBackup easily.
2. Click on the Storage tab. Choose OneDrive > Authorize Now. Follow the step-by-step instructions it offers to let CBackup access your OneDrive account safely.
3. Click on the Backup button and choose the Backup PC to Public Cloud option in the right part.
4. You can change the Task Name of your backup. Then choose local files as the backup source, and select the OneDrive account you just added to CBackup as the backup destination. After the above, click the Start Backup button to back up your files from your computer to the cloud directly.
Note: Before you start the backup task, you can set a scheduler for it to create an automatic PC backup to cloud for free. Just click on Settings > tick Set a backup schedule for automated backup. There are 4 different time modes for you to choose from.
Then, after creating a backup to OneDrive, how to let OneDrive restore previous version folder or file easily? Once you create a OneDrive backup via CBackup, you can follow these steps to restore your files to any previous version. CBackup will keep all backup versions forever.
1. Find your OneDrive backup in the Task list. Click on the three-dot icon next to it. Choose the Versions option.
2. On this page, you can see all version history of your backup task. Select one you want to press the Restore button. Then your OneDrive file can be restored to this previous version directly.
★ Notes: In addition to versioning backup, CBackup has many shining points as well. You can take advantage of them when you need a cloud backup service.
Free cloud storage: CBackup gives each new account 10GB of free cloud storage to store data.
Combine cloud storage: If there is insufficient cloud backup space in your cloud drive, you can merge OneDrive accounts, or other cloud drive accounts together to get a larger cloud backup space.
Written in the end
We have prepared 2 choices for you to make OneDrive restore previous version. You can choose an available method for your OneDrive files. Besides, we provide a cloud backup software CBackup with unlimited versioning as well. You can try it and manage file versions more easily.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup