3 Tricks to Perform Google Drive Version Control
You will find the best way to perform Google Drive version control and manage Google Drive file version history easily, scroll down to learn more.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
According to Google Drive version history limit: Google Drive helps you keep the file verison history on Google Drive up to 100 versions or within 30 days. If you want to keep the Google Drive version history and don’t want to be deleted, you could keep it forever.
Google Drive provides you the Manage Versions option for PDF files, images and other files (not folder) stored in Google Drive. Hence, it’s normal if you find the Google Drive manage versions missing problem on Google Drive folder.
Below, we will show you the tricks on how to perform Google Drive version control. Please make sure you are the owner or editor of the file before manage your Google Drive versions.
To make the Google Drive file version history keep forever after 100 versions or 30 days, please do the following steps to keep file versions forever on Google Drive:
1. Log in to your Google Drive account.
2. Select and right-click the Google Drive file, then choose Manage versions option at the context menu.
3. Click the More options (the three-dots icon) behind the Google Drive file version, then tick Keep Forever.
For Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files, please take the following for references:
1. Open your Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides file, Tap the Last edit was * ago (open version history) link. It will show you the Google docs/Sheets/Slides version histories.
2. Click the More actions (the three-dots icon) behind the Google file version history you want to restore, and select Restore this version. Or you could select the Google Drive file version history and tap the Restore this version button at the top left.
You could complete the Google Docs/Sheets/Slides version control easily now.
For those non-Google Drive files, take the below actions to restore Google Drive previous version:
1. Select the Google Drive file and right click it, select Manage versions.
2. Tap the More actions icon (the three-dots) behind the previous version you want to restore, choose Download.
3. To restore Google Drive previous version, please click UPLOAD NEW VERSION button, then choose the Google drive old version you downloaded, and click Open.
Then your Google Drive file has been restored to the previous version.
There is another trick for Google Drive version control if you don’t want to keep the Google Drive version histories: Delete Google Drive Older version.
Here is how to delete older Google Drive old versions:
The old Google Drive version history will be deleted automatically after 30 days or over 100 versions. And you can wait to get it to be deleted or delete it manually.
1. Log in to your Google Drive account.
2. Select the Google Drive file and right-click it, choose Manage versions.
3. Choose the Google Drive version history, and tap More actions icon (the three-dots), and select Delete to delete old version for Google Drive file.
Note: There is no option for you to perform Google Drive version control on iPhone, iPad or Android phone. The only way is to use the Google drive webpage.
According to Google Drive announcement, any newly created Google Docs, Sheets, Drawings, Forms, or Jamboard files will count toward Google Drive storage since June 1, 2021. the existing files will not count toward storage, unless they’re modified on or after June 1, 2021.
Since then, you will find the Google Drive will be filled up quickly, and if you don’t want to upgrade your Google Drive account, what should you do to increase cloud storage for Google Drive for free?
Fortunately, if you have multiple Google Drive accounts, or other clouds (Dropbox, OneDrive, etc), it’s highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service CBackup to merge multiple Google Drive accounts or combine multiple clouds into one big backup space.
Step 1. Download CBackup and launch it, create a free CBackup account and sign in.
Step 2. Tap My Storage > Add Cloud, choose Google Drive, and click Add. Then follow the steps to allow CBackup to access your Google Drive account.
Step 3. Edit the Display Name and the Storage Path, and tick “Note: Please do not change the path directly in the third-party cloud disk, or modify or delete the backup file” option, and click OK.
Step 4. You can repeat the step 2 and step 3 to add other Google Drive accounts or even different clouds, go to New Combined Cloud to combine them.
Now, your Google Drive storage space has been increased.
After Google Drive has been increased, you could backup files to Google Drive or backup files from cloud to cloud via CBackup, and it provides you a flexible way to perform Google Drive version control.
Step 1. Sign in your CBackup account.
Step 2. Tap the Backup Tasks tab, then click the New Task button to create a new Google Drive backup task.
Step 3. Rename the Task Name, and click Add Source button to add the Google Drive account you added before to CBackup, click Add Destination to add another Google Drive account.
Step 4. Hit Settings at the bottom left, tap Schedule option, specify the time you want to backup, and tap Version Cleanup tab, then select Keep all versions, Keep only * recent versions, or Keep the version within the last * days (* means the number you specified). Then click OK.
Emal Notification allows you to get the email alert after the backup finished or failed.
File Filter could help you include or exclude the files you want or don’t want to backup.
Step 5. Press Start Backup button to backup files between two Google Drive accounts.
Now the Google Drive version control of CBackup is more easier and flexible than Google Drive version control.
In this post you will find how to manage Google Drive version history, including Google Drive keeps version history forever, Google Drive restore previous version, delete Google Drive old versions.
The Google Docs, Sheets, Drawings, Forms, or Jamboard files will count towards to Google Drive quota, so you probably encounter the Google Drive storage full problem, it’s recommended to try CBackup to make full use of the free storage space on multiple clouds, then perform a flexible way to Google Drive version control.