How to Perform Onedrive Force Sync? 5 Ways and 1 Tip
Here you will get 5 ways to force OneDrive sync or manually sync OneDrive, and 1 tip for you to sync files to OneDrive for free with simple clicks.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
"I have a new clean installation of Windows 10. After logging in using my Microsoft account, my OneDrive folder (ie the OneDrive folder in my Users folder) shows only a few folders, not all my OneDrive folders. But right-clicking the OneDrive icon and selecting View online shows all files and folders. The latter is the correct one and is what I see from another PC's OneDrive folder signed on to the same account. Obviously, there is something wrong with the synchronization. How do I fix it or how do I force OneDrive to synchronize?"
- Question from superuser.com
If you encounter OneDrive not syncing among computers or OneDrive sync pending stuck or other OneDrive sync problems, please check the following solutions to force OneDrive sync.
There are multiple ways to restart OneDrive desktop app and force OneDrive to update the latest files and folders.
Sometimes, restart can resolve the OneDrive sync issues, and it will restart the OneDrive sync engine, and sync folders correctly.
1. To restart OneDrive, please tap the OneDrive icon on system tray or menu bar, click Help & Settings > Close OneDive, then click Close OneDrive to confirm quit OneDrive desktop app.
2. Then go to Windows Search box or Spotlight to search for OneDrive, and restart it.
You could restart the OneDrive app by the following command prompt.
Please press Win + R key combination, and execute the following commands one by one:
start %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /background
OneDrive allows you to pause syncing and resume syncing to restart OneDrive sync engine, and then check file changes, and sync any changes to OneDrive server and other devices immediately once the chagnes detected.
1. Tap the OneDrive icon on the system tray or menu bar, select Help & Settings > Pause Syncing > select 2 hours, 8 hours, or 24 hours to not syncing files and folders to OneDrive server.
2. Then you will get the following window shows OneDrive is paused.
3. Then click the information: Your files are not currently syncing to resume syncing for OneDrive. Or you could go to OneDrive Help & Settings > Resume Syncing.
And the process will force OneDrive to sync the latest files and folders to OneDrive server and other devices.
Reset OneDrive can sometimes resolve OneDrive not syncing issues and resets all OneDrive settings. OneDrive will perform a full sync after the reset. And you will not lose any data on OneDrive.
Please press Win + R key combination, and input one of the following information to the dialog:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
After executing the above command, it will shut down the OneDrive. Now, all you need to do is restart the OneDrive sync app manually.
Then it will do the full sync for OneDrive and other devices. And the process called OneDrive force sync.
If you meet OneDrive sync problems like OneDrive not syncing files, you may have to manually sync files to OneDrive.
Drag and drop the files and folders to OneDrive folder, or upload to OneDrive site to perfrom OneDrive force sync manually.
Microsoft has provided a temporary solution to fix OneDrive sync issues while using the OneDrive desktop app to sync, diable Files On-Demand option in OneDrive settings.
Please tap the OneDrive icon on system tray or menu bar, then choose Help & Settings > Settings.
Under the Settings tab, unselect the option Save space and download files as you use them under the Files On-Demand section, and click OK.
All your OneDrive files and folders will be download to this PC, and your OneDrive will restart automatically, and download all OneDrive files to the computer, and force OneDrive to update files.
There is a better way to sync files to OneDrive and you don’t have to force OneDrive sync manually, the free cloud backup service CBackup.
CBackup is dedicated to protecting your computer data and cloud data, therefore, you could do the following things with CBackup:
Sync files and folders to OneDrive directly to avoid OneDrive not syncing or OneDrive sync pending problem.
Increase OneDrive cloud storage for free if your OneDrive cloud storage is not enough and you don’t want to upgrade OneDrive plan right now.
Cloud to cloud backup, and you could backup files between Onedrive accounts, and the version cleanup will help you manage the backup versions. The supported cloud drive includes Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox.
Cloud to cloud sync, and you could transfer files from one cloud to another directly without downloading and uploading.
Note: Ensure you have signed in to your OneDrive account before the following steps, or you will be prompted to sign in to your OneDrive account during the below step 2.
To sync files to OneDrive as you want, please follow the steps listed below:
1. Please create a new CBackup account, and sign in to your CBackup desktop app.
2. Tap the My Storage > Add Cloud, then choose OneDrive and click Add. Then grant authority to CBackup to manage your OneDrive files.
3. Edit the Display Name and Storage Path, then check the option “Note: please do not change the path directly in the third-party cloud, nor modify or delete the backup file.”, then click OK.
4. Select Backup Tasks > New Task, and customize the Task Name, then click Add Source to choose files you want to sync to OneDrive, and click Add Destination > Single Storage > select OneDrive, and click OK.
5. Hit Settings on the bottom left, then tap Scheduled > Enable Schedule Backup > choose an interval, at a specific time, daily, weekly, or monthly. Then press Start Backup to backup files to OneDrive automatically.
OneDrive force sync could be performed by the above 5 solutions, and just follow the detailed instructions to force OneDrive sync. And there is a better way to sync files to OneDrive automatically if you don’t want to force OneDrive sync manually.