OneDrive App Displays Error Code 0x8004de40!
“Today, when I attempted to sign in to my OneDrive account on the Desktop, I get an OneDrive error code 0x8804de40, which shows 'There was a problem connecting to OneDrive'. I checked my internet, but all other internet-based services appear normal. I have no idea about this error code, can you provide me with some suggestions?"
How to Fix OneDrive Error Code 0x8004de40 in Windows 10?
Actually, the "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive 0x8004de40" error indicates that the OneDrive app is facing some connectivity issues. If your OneDrive app displays this error, you should check and change some settings of the internet.
If you are facing this error code, don't be panic. Here, we will explain 5 different ways to help you get this issue fixed, and introduce you an effective way to protect your OneDrive data with CBackup in the paragraphs below.
Fix 1. Check Your Internet Connection
According to Microsoft, the error code 0x8004de40 that shows "There was a problem connecting to OneDrive" on OneDrive means the app is having difficulties connecting to the cloud. And the major cause of this is a poor or unstable internet connection. To clear this error, the first thing to do is to confirm your internet connection by the following two methods.
1. Ensure that the cable is properly plugged in. If it is a wireless connection, confirm that your router is up and running smoothly. You could also try rebooting your router.
2. Launch your web browser and open a couple of webpages. If your browser successfully loads the pages, that means there's no problem with your internet connection.
☛If there is something wrong with your internet, please try to fix 2 or fix 3 to solve your internet connection problem.
☛If your internet connection is working perfectly and you're able to use the internet with every other app on your PC except OneDrive, then you should turn to fix 4/5/6 directly to clear the 0x8004de40 error code.
Fix 2. Change the Internet Properties
The TLS 1.0 and above is a security protocol that helps in establishing encryption channels over the computer network. Your OneDrive client may not function properly when these protocols are disabled. You can follow the steps below to enable the TLS 1.0 and above in Internet Properties.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK to open the Internet Properties window.
3. On the Internet Properties window, open the Advanced tab.
4. Under Settings, scroll down and find the following options and check their boxes:
Use TLS 1.0
Use TLS 1.1
Use TLS 1.2
5. Click Apply and OK to save the changes. Reboot your computer and check for the occurrence of the error.
Fix 3. Disable the Proxy Settings
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run. Then, type inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to continue.
2. Go to the Connections tab and click on LAN settings.
3. Here, mark the Automatically detect settings option and unmark the option Use a proxy server for your LAN respectively.
4. Click on Apply and then OK to implement the changes right away.
Fix 4. Reset Windows Socket (Winsock)
One of the most common and effective troubleshooting solutions for network and connectivity issues on a Windows computer is resetting the Windows Socket (shortly called Winsock). Winsock may the reason why your OneDrive can use the internet. If your internet connection is strong and stable but some of your apps cannot access the network, resetting the Winsock could help fix the issue.
1. Type cmd in the search box.
2. Right-click on Command Prompt option and select Run as Administrator.
3. In the Command Prompt, type the following command and hit Enter.
netsh winsock reset catalog
4. Once the command is successfully executed, close the command prompt and restart your PC.
Fix 5. Reset OneDrive
When an app or program on your Windows PC starts to misbehave or function abnormally, one of the quickest fixes is to reset the app. Doing this takes the app back to the default state it was when you newly installed it on your computer. Resetting the OneDrive app could also help clear the 0x8004de40 error, and here's how to go about it.
☛Resetting OneDrive doesn’t affect the personal data, it just re-sync the data to OneDrive.
☛Resetting an app might delete some of the app's data, settings, and other saved preferences. This means you might have to set-up the OneDrive app from scratch i.e. re-enter your login credentials and reconfigure your preferences.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
2. Enter or paste the command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe /reset into the box and hit Enter on your keyboard or tap OK. This command would reset your OneDrive app.
3. Paste this command: %localappdata%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\onedrive.exe into the Run dialog box and tap OK to quickly launch OneDrive after the reset process, and OneDrive should run smoothly without any error message.
✎Note: You are recommended to restart your computer after resetting the OneDrive app.
Bonus Tips About OneDrive Problem
Tip 1. Backup your OneDrive data in advance
Although OneDrive is one of the best cloud storage and backup solutions for Windows computers, it still has some occasional glitches. Besides error code 0x8004de40, you may meet error code 2, error code 6 also and you still face the risk of data loss. Therefore, to protect your files, you’d better back up your OneDrive files to other cloud drives with a cloud backup tool like CBackup.
☛CBackup allows you to add accounts of third-party cloud storage including OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive on its interface and then create a backup task to move files between cloud storage. With it, you can keep a backup version of OneDrive files in other cloud storage.
☛In addition, if you have idle space in OneDrive but the storage space of other cloud storage like Dropbox and Google Drive is insufficient, you can also use the cloud to cloud backup/sync features of CBackup to move your files from other cloud storage to OneDrive. Thus, you can make full use of your OneDrive storage space.
☛What's more, the cloud-to-cloud backup and cloud-to-cloud sync features of CBackup are free. And you can enjoy many useful backup settings like scheduled backup, file filter, email notification, and so on for free too. Furthermore, all the services and features mentioned above can be achieved on the CBackup web app, without downloading any app.
Now, follow the steps below to try it:
1. Get started to create a CBackup account freely and sign in.
2. Add and authorize your OneDrive and other cloud storage accounts under the My Storage tab. Choose the OneDrive icon and click Add. Then follow the instructions to go to the OneDrive website to grant access to CBackup.
3. Click on Backup Tasks tab at the top of the page, then, click New Task button to create backup task (If you want to create a sync task, click the Sync Tasks tab).
4. Name your backup task, click Add Source button to add OneDrive as the backup source. Similarly, click Add Destination button to add another cloud drive as the backup destination. Then, click Start Backup.
✎Note: Before clicking the Start Backup button, you can click the Settings button to enjoy some backup settings like Scheduled Backup, Email Notification, File Filter, and so on.
Tip 2. Turn to a OneDrive alternative to avoid problems thoroughly
Actually, OneDrive or other mainstream cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox may have many unexpected errors and you can't fix them successfully sometimes. Therefore, if you are tired of handling these problems, you can turn to a more stable and secure cloud backup service directly.
☛To back up and protect your PC files, CBackup can also offer help. CBackup also offers a Windows PC cloud backup feature to help you backup files to its CBackup Cloud easily and securely. It offers huge backup space at a very reasonable price. If you need to backup files to cloud, CBackup is a good choice.
☛Besides the CBackup Cloud, CBackup also supports backing up files to third-party cloud storage like OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive. You can choose both CBackup Cloud or OneDrive as your backup destination when you choose the backup target location.
☛Moreover, CBackup allows you to combine cloud storage into a huge backup space and then back up files from a local computer to this huge backup space. If you have idle storage space in OneDrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive, you can combine them into a bigger space to protect more files.
You can download it and try it first to see if it can meet your requirements:
1. Download and install the CBackup PC client for free.
2. Create a CBackup account and sign in.
3. Click on the Backup Tasks tab and click on the New Task button.
4. Click on Add Source to select the PC files that you want to backup to its Cloud. Click Add destination to choose CBackup Cloud as your backup destination.
As you can see, fix the OneDrive error code 0x8004de40 is very easy and simple to do. You can follow the fixes one by one to solve OneDrive problems, but there is no guarantee of success.
So, according to the 3-2-1 data backup strategy, you are recommended to backup your files with CBackup or use CBackup to backup your PC files directly. With CBackup, you will not have any more problems in losing your important files. Don’t hesitate to use it.