As Microsoft Office users, we have all endured the loss of unsaved documents, which also means all the efforts will be in vain if there is a power off or computer breakdown.
Microsoft Word backup can solve the problem of file loss due to situations such as not saving files in time and computer crashes. Thus, you may wonder whether Microsoft Word can backup files for safekeeping. Actually, the answer is yes.
If you use Microsoft 365, the Word documents will automatically be saved to OneDrive. If you just use the Microsoft Office application, you have to back up your Microsoft Word regularly.
Backing up your documents is always a good thing to do, but not always something we remember to do. Microsoft Word can automatically create backup of your Word document every time you save it. Next, we’ll show you how to do it.
Best 4 Ways to Backup Microsoft Word
We list 4 ways for Microsoft Word backup in the following, including Microsoft Word local backup and Word online backup, please continue reading this article to learn how to back up documents automatically.
Way 1. Use Microsoft Word Automatic Backup
Microsoft allows you to backup word documents locally. If the program crashes or your computer accidentally losses power, Word document backup is the guaranteed way of retaining a valid copy of your work.
Here are the steps to enable Microsoft automatic backup for Word documents:
1. Click the FILE button in Microsoft Word, then choose Options in the list of items on the left.
2. On the Word Options dialog box, click the Save tab, and then tick the Save AutoRecover information every *** minutes and the Keep the last AutoRecovered version if i close without saving option.
3. Then choose Advanced tab, scroll down to choose Always create backup copy and Allow background saves.
After that, you will get a Microsoft Word backup document prefixed with .wbk when you save the Word. Generally speaking, you could find the backup files of your Word documents in the following path if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription.
Way 2. Use Microsoft Word Automatic Backup Software
Here we introduce a free backup software for Microsoft Word automatic backup, AOMEI Backupper Standard, which is a free and simple program. AOMEI Backupper Standard can backup Microsoft Word to multiple destinations like a local disk, NAS, USB, SD card, or external hard drive, cloud and many more.
If you want to have try to create Microsoft Word auto backup, just follow these steps:
1. Download the AOMEI Backuppepr Standard and launch it.
2. Choose the Backup tab and then click File Backup.
3. Next, click Add Folder or Add File to add your Microsoft Word Documents on your computer.
4. Choose the folder button to select the external hard drive, USB, or other storage devices as the backup destination.
✎Tips: If you want it to back up your files automatically, you can click the Schedule button to make Microsoft Word backup daily, weekly or monthly, and more.
5. Then, please do not forget to click Start Backup to backup Microsoft Word automatically.
Way 3. Backup Microsoft Word to OneDrive
This way is pretty convenient for some Windows users, on account of that OneDrive built-in Windows 10/11, thus you can back up your important folders (your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders) on your Windows computer with OneDrive PC folder backup, so they're protected and available on other devices.
The steps are as follows to backup Microsoft Word to OneDrive:
1. Move all your Microsoft Word documents to one of the three folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures).
2. Download and install the OneDrive desktop app on your computer. After clicking Get Started, Sign in to your Microsoft account.
3. On the This is your OneDrive folder page, click Next tab to accept the default folder location for your OneDrive files.
4. Click Help & Settings > Settings, then Sync and backup > Manage backup.
5. In theBack up your foldersdialog box, check the folders you want to backup are selected.
6. Then, click the Start backup button to backup Microsoft Word files to OneDrive .
Way 4. Better Way to Do Microsoft Word Automatic Backup
Compared with backup files to external hard drives or SD cards, backing up Microsoft Word documents to the cloud can give your data stronger protection, a process that requires the help of a professional cloud backup product. Here we provide the best free cloud backup service - CBackup, which specializes in PC to cloud backup and cloud to cloud backup.
CBackup not only has infinite possibilities when it comes to storage space, but also it's a safer and more convenient way to back up your files. This software empowers you to make instant and scheduled backups for Microsoft Word documents. It also provides highlighted features, for instance: unlimited version management, file filter, email notifications, and so on to make cloud backup easier.
It supports mainstream clouds like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and so on.
Now, let’s see how to auto backup Word documents to Google Drive via CBackup for free:
1. Download and install it on your computer. Run it and sign up.
2. Under the Storage window, select Google Drive, then click Authorize Now.
✎Note: When adding a cloud drive, CBackup will direct you to the cloud drive provider's authorization server. In such a case, CBackup never saves your login information like cloud account and password.
3. Select theBackup, and click on Backup PC to Public Cloud.
4. Select the Microsoft Word files that you want to backup. And then choose Google Drive as the destination.
5. Hit Settings (bottom left corner) > Scheduler to enable schedule backup.
Tips: Here you could enable email notification and file filter to get email alerts after the backup is finished and exclude the file types that you don't want to back up.
6. And then click Start Backup to backup your Microsoft Word files to Google Drive automatically.
Moreover, If you would like to sync Microsoft Word documents to the cloud like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and more easily, CBackup will do you a big favor.
Meanwhile, you could merge multiple cloud drives into one huge backup space, even free unlimited cloud storage space via CBackup if your Google Drive storage space gets full.
According to the contents above, you can learn about four ways to set up a Microsoft Word backup. In fact, the first three ways are a little bit complicated, so, you are suggested to perform Microsoft Word online backup with CBackup, which can save you much time and effort. What's more, CBackup offers you the free 10GB cloud storage space of CBackup Cloud, and you could upgrade to 1TB or more at a good price if you're planning to store more important files, just give it a try.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup