I am using Dropbox on a new computer and the download speeds are terrible for even small files. I don't mean just slow, I mean unusable. I've read that you can change the bandwidth. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
- Question from Dropbox Community
Dropbox is popular with you and has become the most famous cloud storage service in the market. However, you may meet some Dropbox upload and download issues as Dropbox upload failed, Dropbox upload slow, and more. For this, you may consider changing Dropbox bandwidth settings to fix your Dropbox issue.
Does Dropbox have a bandwidth limit?
When you add files to Dropbox or change files in Dropbox, Dropbox will use Internet bandwidth on your computer. Is there a bandwidth limit in Dropbox? Yes, and you can change the Dropbox bandwidth limit according to your requirements.
Many applications on your computer will use Internet bandwidth at the same time. Thus, when you need to transfer files faster in Dropbox, you need to allow Dropbox more bandwidth to speed it up.
In the following part, we will introduce how to change Dropbox bandwidth settings in different operating systems. Please read to get it.
How to change Dropbox bandwidth settings effectively
When you meet a Dropbox issue, changes Dropbox bandwidth settings can be a useful solution. Here we will show you how to change Dropbox bandwidth settings in Windows or macOS separately. Choose suitable steps according to the operating system on your computer.
1. Find the Dropbox icon in the taskbar on your computer and click it. Then press your avatar to choose the Preferences option on the pop-up menu.
2. On the Dropbox Preferences page, go to the Bandwidth section by clicking it. Under Download rate and Upload rate, you can change bandwidth in Dropbox according to your needs.
Change Dropbox bandwidth settings in macOS
If your computer is based on macOS, the operation steps are similar. You can follow the detailed guideline here.
1. Find the Dropbox icon on the top taskbar. Click it and press the gear icon to choose Preferences here.
2. Then, click on the Network tab. You can change Dropbox bandwidth settings here as well.
Other ways to speed up Dropbox upload and download
In addition to changing Dropbox bandwidth settings, there are some other solutions to Dropbox issues like Dropbox waiting to upload, Dropbox stuck at 1 second left, and more. When you meet a Dropbox error, you can try them one by one until Dropbox returns to normal.
Way 1. Make your network connection stable
For all tasks in Dropbox, a stable network connection is the most important factor. Thus, if you want to upload files to Dropbox more quickly and smoothly, please check the network connection on your computer and ensure its stability.
Way 2. Quit other applications on your computer
Since all running applications will take up bandwidth on your computer, you can quit other unnecessary applications when you perform a Dropbox secure upload or download task, which can be helpful.
Tip: Try a cloud service without a speed limit
If you have been troubled with Dropbox speed for a long time, we highly recommend you a free cloud backup service - CBackup. There is no limitation on upload speed and file size in CBackup, which can help you perform Dropbox upload task fast and smoothly.
As a professional cloud service, CBackup has many shining points and advantages in both backup and sync features.
CBackup allows you to upload any type of file to Dropbox, including documents, pictures, videos, folders, hard drives, and even your whole computer
In addition to Dropbox, you can add other cloud drive accounts to CBackup as well. Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. are supported.
CBackup uses OAuth Authorization System and 256-bit AES Encryption to protect your data and account security completely.
Here is an easy guideline to upload files to Dropbox without any limitations via CBackup.
1. Download and install the CBackup desktop client on your computer. Sign up for an account and log in on the desktop application.
2. Go to the Storage tab. Click on Dropbox > Authorize Now. Give CBackup authorization to access your Dropbox account and do not worry about your data safety.
3. Press the Sync tab on the left menu, then click on Sync PC to Public Cloud.
4. Choose any files from your computer as the sync source. Then select a folder in the account you just added as the sync destination. At last, you can press the Start Sync button to upload files to Dropbox without any limit.
Note: Before starting the upload task, you can set up some advanced options for it by clicking on Settings at the bottom. To let Dropbox automatic sync files on your computer, you can enable the Scheduler feature.
What’s more, you can try many features in CBackup for free.
Backup PC to public cloud: You can choose to backup files to Dropbox for better protection and remove local files to free up some local space.
Combine cloud storage: With it, you can get more Dropbox cloud storage by merging many cloud drive accounts, instead of paying for an advanced plan every year.
To sum up
That’s all about changing Dropbox bandwidth settings. In addition, we introduce some other ways to fix your Dropbox upload and download issues. And you can try the free cloud service CBackup to transfer files to cloud without any limitations.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup