8 Ways: Fix Can't Install Google Drive on Windows 11/10/8/7
8 Ways: Fix Can't Install Google Drive on Windows 11/10/8/7
Can't install Google Drive on Windows 11? 8 solutions can help you to solve the installation issues. Also, you can use a free Google Drive alternative to sync files without installing its desktop app. Try it now!
Google Drive is a cloud-based file storage and sync service by Google. It allows users to store files in the cloud, access them from various devices, and collaborate on documents in real-time. What's more, features like file sharing, seamless integration with Google Workspace apps, and 15GB of free storage make Google Drive become an excellent free cloud storage option for users.
You can get a desktop version of Google Drive, enabling you to sync and save files and folders directly to the cloud server from your Windows PC. If you encounter "can't install Google Drive on Windows 11" issue, read on to learn several easy solutions to fix your issue at hand.
Why does Windows 11 keep failing to install Google Drive?
First of all, you need to know that you are unable to install Google Drive on Windows 7 because according to Google's official announcement, Drive for desktop has ended support for Windows 7. So you need to upgrade to Windows 10 or later to continue installing Drive for desktop.
Then, if your Windows is not Windows 7/8, there are several possible reasons why you can't install Google Drive on Windows 11 or other operating systems.
Insufficient disk space: If you have insufficient storage on your PC, you may fail to install Google Drive. So you need to ensure enough space on your drive when you need to install a new program.
Corrupted installation files: The Google Drive installation files may be corrupted. You can download a fresh one.
Compatibility issues: Other software installed on your system could be conflicting with the Google Drive installation. You can turn off those software when you install Google Drive.
How to fix the issue - can't install Google Drive on Windows 11/10/8/7
Google Drive, a top-rated global cloud storage service, allows users to store and share files seamlessly with a Google account. If you face the issue of Google Drive not installing on Windows 10 and other operating systems, it prevents easy file syncing. Don't worry, follow the ways below to ensure a successful Google Drive installation.
Installing apps on Windows is flexible for both third-party and Microsoft Store apps. However, certain settings might cause the error: Google Drive setup failed to install the driver. Resolve this by adjusting app installer settings. Here's the guide:
1. Click Start and go to Settings > Apps > Apps and features.
2. Click the dropdown triangle arrow under the Choose where to get apps, and then select Anywhere from the list.
Way 2. Run Google Drive as an administrator
To avoid potential permission issues during Google Drive installation, run the downloaded installation file as an administrator. This ensures smooth installation without crashes.
1. Open File Explorer by pressing Windows + E > navigate to Downloads > select the GoogleDriveSetup.exe from the list.
2. Right-click on the GoogleDriveSetup.exe and select Run as administrator from the dropdown menu.
Way 3. Use the program compatibility troubleshooter
Luckily, your Windows system comes equipped with troubleshooters that can automatically fix some minor issues, including problems with Google Drive installation. You can run the program compatibility troubleshooter to check if your issue is fixed or not.
1. Open your Search window on the left bottom. Then, input "troubleshoot settings" in the search bar and click Open to run troubleshoot settings.
2. Then, click Additional troubleshooters, and then select Program Compatibility Troubleshooter under Find and fix other problems. Then click Run the troubleshooter. Now, please reboot your device and try to install Google Drive again.
Way 4. Temporarily disable Windows firewall
If you can't install Google Drive on Windows 11 or other systems, it might be due to the firewall and antivirus settings. Temporarily disable your antivirus and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps:
1. Go to Search on the left bottom, input Windows Defender Firewall, and click Open. It will automatically open Help protect your PC with Windows Defender Firewall window.
2. Now, select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off on the left menu. And then tick Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) under the Private network settings and Public network settings.
❤ Note: Remember, this temporary measure is for troubleshooting purposes only. Always ensure your antivirus protection is active to safeguard your system after the installation.
Way 5. Run the system file checker
To address potential issues caused by corrupted files during an app installation, you can run a System File Checker (SFC) scan, which helps ensure the integrity of system files and can resolve issues related to corrupted files that may affect app installations. Here's how:
1. Type "cmd" in the Search box, select Command Prompt and click Open.
2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command, and then press Enter to initiate the SFC scan.
3. The scan will check and repair any corrupted system files. This process may take some time. Once the scan is complete, you can try to install Google Drive again.
❈ Tip: If you encounter the issue: This version of Google Drive is already installed. You can type "-skip_version_check" in the Command Prompt window and press Enter to run.
Way 6. Delete temporary files
Removing temporary files can help ensure a clean installation by eliminating any potential conflicts. Here is how to do it:
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run box, and then type %temp% and press Enter.
2. Press Control + A to select all the temporary files, and then press Shift + Delete to permanently delete those files.
Way 7. Restart your computer
Restarting computer can solve most of the problems, including can's install Google Drive on Windows 11, and other software errors.
Tap the Windows icon on the bottom left of your desktop, and select Power > Restart. Then wait for your PC to restart and then try to install Google Drive.
Way 8. Free up your computer's space
If you have insufficient storage space on your PC, you might not be able to install Google Drive. In such instances, you can try to select and delete some unimportant files from your PC, or you can try to free up storage space by saving files to free cloud storage without installing.
Free Google Drive alternative to sync files on Windows 11/10/8/7
Is there a way to move files from PC to Google Drive directly if we can't install Google Drive successfully? Certainly, there is an easy way to sync local files to Google Drive without installing its app, using a professional yet free cloud sync service called CBackup.
This software supports various mainstream cloud drives, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive. Also, it provides 10 GB free storage of CBackup Cloud, which allows you to expand to 1TB or 5 TB storage space as well. What's more, you can increase your cloud storage at no cost by combining cloud storage.
Now, let's see how to sync files on Windows PC to Google Drive automatically and easily:
4. (Optional) Click the Settings button to access the Scheduler feature. Choose frequency options (one time only, daily, weekly, and monthly) to your preference. After configuration, click Start Sync to begin syncing your files with Google Drive.
Explore additional features in CBackup to enhance your syncing experience:
Email notification: By enabling this feature, you can receive alerts for task success or failure, ensuring timely awareness.
File filter: By enabling this feature, you can select specific file types based on your preferences.
In conclusion, Google Drive is an excellent online cloud storage with several special features. However, if you can't install Google Drive in Windows 11 or other systems, you can try the solutions or you can jump to the easy way - using CBackup. This tool allows you to sync files to Google Drive or other cloud drives and manage multiple cloud accounts with ease.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup