Top 2 Ways to Backup Windows to Google Drive
This post will show you the 2 easy solutions to backup Windows computer to Google Drive, and scroll down to get the details about how to backup PC to Google Drive.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
As the most popular cloud storage service, Google Drive provides you two apps for different users to sync files to Google Drive easily:
Google Backup and Sync.
Google Drive for Desktop (previously named Google Drive File Stream).
And these two Google backup software has some differences shows below:
Google Backup and Sync
Google Drive for Desktop
(Google Drive File Stream)
Free Storage Space
Extra Payment for Storage
$19.99/Year, 100 GB
$29.99/Year, 200 GB
$72/Year: 30 GB/user
$144/Year: 2 TB/user
$216/Year: 5 TB/user
Use Files in My Drive
Use Files in shared Files
Sync other folders, like Documents, or Desktop
Upload Photos and Videos to Google Photos
Show Real-time Editing Presence in Office
Folders Avaliable Offline
File Avaliable Offline
√: means supported.
-: means not supported.
According to Google Drive website, you can only use Google Backup and Sync to backup Windows to Google Drive, or upload files and folders via Google Drive website.
There are two steps for you to backup Windows local folders to Google Drive with Google Backup and Sync:
Check Google Drive storage space.
Backup Windows local folders to Google Drive.
To backup Windows files to Google Drive successfully, please check your Google Drive storage space is enough to hold all your Windows files:
1. Please log in to your Google Drive account, click Settings icon at the top right corner, then select Settings.
2. Check the Storage information at the General tab.
Step 2: Backup Windows Local Folders to Google Drive
Please download Google Drive Backup and Sync app to backup Windows to Google Drive easily.
1. Please install Google Backup and Sync and sign in your account.
2. Then you are able to set up the Google Drive sync settings in Google Backup and Sync app.
>> In My Computer tab, choose the Windows files and folders you want to sync by click CHOOSE FOLDER.
>> In Google Drive tab, Tick Sync My Drive to this computer option, then tick Sync everything in My Drive or Sync these folders only (then choose the folders).
3. Press START button to backup Windows to Google Drive.
Besides, you could go to the Google Drive Preferences to change the Google Drive sync settings to backup Windows files to Google Drive.
However, you can only backup the following file types to Google Drive with Google Backup and Sync:
If you choose the C drive to backup, you will find that the error message: Something went wrong, Choose a different folder to back up files from your computer as the selected folder is not writable.
What should you do if you would like to backup other Windows files to Google Drive? Just take it easy, you will find answers in next part.
To backup any Windows files and folders to Google Drive, it’s highly recommended to try the best free Windows backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard to make Google backup Windows easily. Please download AOMEI Backupper Standard first and then follow the detailed steps to backup Windows to Google Drive:
1. Select Backup > File Backup at the AOMEI Backupper main interface.
2. Rename the Task Name, click Add File or Add Folder to choose all the Windows files to backup.
3. Tap the inverted triangle icon and Select a cloud drive, then choose Google Drive and hit OK.
4. (Optional) click Schedule to set up the intervals you would like to backup Windows to Google Drive.
5. Press Start Backup >> to backup local Windows files to Google Drive automatically.
Then, once you set up, all the Windows files and folder you selected will be backed up to Google Drive at the time you specified. Besides, you coud sync files to Google Drive: Sync > Basic Sync, then follow the guide to sync easily.
If your Google Drive cannot backup entire computer and you have multiple Google Drive accounts, you can merge Google Drive accounts to increase Google Drive storage for free via the free cloud backup service CBackupper, here it is:
1. Please create a free new CBackupper account, and sign in.
2. Click Added Clouds > Add Cloud, then choose Google Drive and click Add, and follow the steps to allow CBackupper to access your Google Drive accounts.
3. Then rename the Display Name, Storage Path, Allocate Space for Google Drive, and other settings, and then tick "Note: Please do not change the path directly in the third-party cloud disk, or modify or delete the backup file." option, click OK.
4. Repeat the 2-3 steps to add other Google Drive accouts, then your Google Drive storage will be expanded. Then you could backup files to Google Drive.
Besides, CBackupper offers you the desktop app to backup computer to Google Drive, or AOMEI Cloud in an easy way.
Althouh you could use Google Drive Backup and Sync app to backup Windows to Google Drive, but you cannot backup entire computer to Google Drive, please try the Windows backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup entire computer to Google Drive with simple clicks. If your Google drive storage not enough to hold all the computer files, please try CBackupper to get more Google Drive storage space for free. even unlimited cloud storage space.