Top 2 Ways to Backup Windows to Google Drive
This post will show you the 2 easy solutions to backup Windows computer to Google Drive, and scroll down to get the details about how to backup PC to Google Drive.
Eliminate all your concerns with the Best Cloud Backup service - CBackupGet Started
As the most popular cloud storage service, Google Drive provides you two apps for different users to sync files to Google Drive previously:
Google Backup and Sync.
Google Drive for Desktop (previously named Google Drive File Stream).
And these two Google backup software has some differences shows below:
|Comparison||Google Backup and Sync||
Google Drive for Desktop
|Users||Individual Users||Team Users|
|Free Storage Space||15GB||15GB|
|Extra Payment for Storage||
$19.99/Year, 100 GB
$29.99/Year, 200 GB
$72/Year: 30 GB/user
$144/Year: 2 TB/user
$216/Year: 5 TB/user
|Use Files in My Drive||√||√|
|Use Files in shared Files||-||√|
|Sync other folders, like Documents, or Desktop||√||-|
|Upload Photos and Videos to Google Photos||√||-|
|Show Real-time Editing Presence in Office||-||√|
|Folders Avaliable Offline||√||√|
|File Avaliable Offline||-||√|
-: means not supported.
But now, the above two apps has been consolidated into the Google Drive for desktop app. Therefore, you can only use Google Drive for desktop application to backup Windows to Google Drive, or upload files and folders via Google Drive website.
There are two steps for you to backup Windows local folders to Google Drive with Google Drive for desktop:
Check Google Drive storage space.
Backup Windows local folders to Google Drive.
To backup Windows files to Google Drive successfully, please check your Google Drive storage space is enough to hold all your Windows files:
1. Please log in to your Google Drive website, click Settings icon at the top right corner, then select Settings.
2. Check the Storage information at the General tab.
Step 2: Backup Windows Local Folders to Google Drive
Please download Google Drive for desktop app to backup Windows to Google Drive easily.
1. Please install Google Drive for Desktop and sign in your account.
2. Then you are able to set up the Google Drive sync settings in Google Drive for desktop app.
>> In My Computer tab, choose the Windows files and folders you want to sync by clicking Add folder button.
>> In Google Drive tab, tick Stream files or Mirror files in My Drive syncing options according to your specific needs.
Besides, you could go to the Google Drive Preferences to change the Google Drive sync settings to backup Windows files to Google Drive.
However, you can only backup the following file types to Google Drive with Google Drive for desktop:
Documents (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Text files, etc.)
Compressed files, like ZIP, RAR, etc.
Apple editor files.
If you choose the C drive to backup, you will find that the error message: Something went wrong, Choose a different folder to back up files from your computer as the selected folder is not writable.
What should you do if you would like to backup other Windows files to Google Drive? Just take it easy, you will find answers in next part.
To backup any Windows files and folders to Google Drive, it’s highly recommended to try the best free cloud backup service- CBackup to make Google backup Windows easily. Once you set up a backup task with CBackup, all the Windows files and folder you selected will be backed up to Google Drive at the time you specified. Please download CBackup first and then follow the detailed steps to backup Windows to Google Drive:
1. Download, install and launch CBackup. Create a CBackup account and sign in.
2. Click the My Storage tab and then choose + Add Cloud. Then, choose the cloud storage (here is Google Drive) that you want to add and backup files to.
3. Create an account and log in with it, then click New Task under the Backup Tasks tab to create a PC to cloud backup task.
4. Click the Add Source button to select the files you need to back up to the cloud. As long as you have enough backup space on Google Drive, you can even back up your entire computer.
5. Click Add destination and Single Cloud to choose Google Drive as your backup destination.
6. Then click Start Backup to backup Windows to Google Drive easily or automatically.
If your Google Drive cannot backup entire computer and you have multiple Google Drive accounts, you can merge Google Drive accounts to increase Google Drive storage for free via CBackup, here it is:
1. Please log in to your CBackup account.
2. Click My Storage on the left side, and click + Add Cloud button, then choose Google Drive and hit Add. Then follow the on-screen guide to allow CBackup to access your cloud storage.
3. After adding, all your Google Drive accounts are listed here. Click the My Storage button, press the plus icon and choose New Combined Cloud option in the menu.
4. Tick the box next to the cloud storage account that you want to combine. After checking, click on Next. Determine the cloud order to store backup files and click OK.
5. Then, you will have a Combined Cloud in your clouds list. You can choose the Combined Cloud as the backup destination to enjoy huge backup space.
If you want to try other powerful features to assist you to perform cloud backup, here is the features you could try:
Althouh you could use Google Drive Backup and Sync app to backup Windows to Google Drive, but you cannot backup entire computer to Google Drive, please try the Windows cloud backup service - CBackup to backup entire computer to Google Drive with simple clicks. If your Google drive storage not enough to hold all the computer files, please try CBackup to get more Google Drive storage space for free. even unlimited cloud storage space.