Hello, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. What I'm hoping to do is establish a two-way sync with either OneDrive and my hard drive so that it is unnecessary to sync manually every time I modify the files. Does OneDrive sync both ways? I'm not opposed to any solution, as I'm willing to do anything from a command-line interface to a third-party solution, so any insight is helpful. Thanks!
Many OneDrive users also have a need like in the above case: OneDrive two-way sync. Users want their files and data to be synced in both directions between cloud storage and local storage, either for file security or for convenience to modify the files.
What is OneDrive two-way sync?
OneDrive two-way sync, one of the cloud sync modes, allows OneDrive to sync between source and destination locations when an internet connection is available, any changes to the source path will be synced to the destination, and any changes to the destination path will be synced to the source as well, so that the two folders remain identical at all times. OneDrive two-way sync generally takes place between the OneDrive cloud and the local path, but it is also can be performed between two OneDrive accounts.
2 effective ways to create OneDrive two-way sync
To create OneDrive two-way sync, here we prepared 2 effective ways: using the OneDrive desktop application or using cloud sync software. After learning about them, you can choose the more suitable one.
Way 1. Use OneDrive desktop application
Basically, the OneDrive desktop application can be a useful method for you to set up OneDrive two-way sync. Here are the simple steps to do with it:
1. Download and install the OneDrive desktop application on your computer. Launch it and log in to your account. If you are using Windows 10/11 system, the application is already installed on your PC.
2. In this window, if you accept the default folder location to save your files, just click Next. Or you can select the Change location option to move the OneDrive folder.
3. Then the OneDrive is ready for you, just select Open my OneDrive folder.
4. Then, sync files to OneDrive by dragging and dropping, and right-click on it to select Always keep on this device to do OneDrive two-way sync.
⇒ Note: OneDrive desktop application can only sync your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders.
Way 2. Use the sync software
Besides, there is another solution to perform OneDrive two-way sync easily - using the sync software, like AOMEI Backupper Server. With the help of it, you can sync any file to OneDrive without manually moving folders. If you want to have a try on it, just follow the easy steps below:
1. Download the AOMEI Backupper application on your computer.
2. On the main page, click the Sync tab to select Two-Way Sync.
3. Next, click + Add Folder to choose the folders you need to sync. And you can change the Task Name according to your needs.
4. Then click the down drop icon to Select a cloud drive.
5. Choose OneDrive as the destination path, and click OK.
6. Finally, click on the Start Sync to begin the OneDrive two-way sync.
Tip: Perform OneDrive one-way sync with ease
In addition to two-way sync, one-way sync can be helpful in some working scenarios as well. Thus, we prepare a free cloud service called CBackup to perform OneDrive one-way sync. It allows you to set up cloud to cloud sync for free. The supported cloud drives include OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, FTP/SFTP. So you can set up one-way sync between OneDrive and any other cloud drive via CBackup easily.
Now, let’s see how to perform OneDrive one-way sync:
1. Navigate to the CBackup website. Sign up for a new CBackup account and log into it.
2. Click on the My Storage tab, click on the Add Cloud button to add OneDrive and any other cloud drive you want to sync to.
3. Select Sync Tasks, press the New Task button to create a new OneDrive one-way sync.
4. Then, press the Add Source button to choose files from OneDrive, press the Add Destination button to choose the target cloud drive.
5. Finally, select the Start Sync button to start the OneDrive one-way sync easily.
⇒ Note: If you want to configure your OneDrive one-way sync regularly and automatically, just click the Settings to set up a scheduled sync for free.
In addition to one-way sync, CBackup provides many other useful features for free as well. You can download the CBackup desktop application to enjoy the following features:
PC to cloud backup: CBackup allows you to add cloud drives like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive to it. Then you can back up file from your PC to the cloud drive easily.
Combined cloud storage: If your cloud storage is not enough for your data, you can try this feature in CBackup. You just need to merge multiple cloud drive accounts into one combined cloud, then you can get more cloud storage for free.
Restore files: Once you use CBackup to backup files, you can restore any version of them in CBackup quickly.
That’s all about the information of OneDrive two-way sync. You can choose either the OneDrive desktop application or cloud sync software to perform it. Besides, if you need to do one-way sync, there is also a useful tip for it - using a professional cloud service called CBackup. Just try them and find the solution that suits you best.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup