Fix Google Backup and Sync Preferences Greyed Out | 8 Ways
You will find the causes and 8 solutions + 1 tip for you to solve Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out problem, just find the step-by-step guide.
Eliminate all your concerns with the Best Cloud Backup service - CBackupGet Started
“My Backup and Sync not working what can I do? And my Google Bakcup and Sync Preferences option is diabled, i tried restarting and reinstalling, it’s still not working. Please help, Thanks.”
Question from support.google.com
Here you will find the causes to Google Preferences greyed out, and then check it for yourself:
Cause 1. Your Google Backup and Sync not signed in
If you did not disconnect your Google account in Backup and Sync app and get the Google Backup and sync Preferences greyed out issue, it’s probably that the Google Backup and Sync not signed in.
If you click the Google Backup and Sync icon in system tray before signing in, and click the three-dots icon, then you will find the Google backup and sync preferences greyed out problem.
Cause 2. Antivirus Software Block Google Backup and Sync Sign in
Sometimes, the antivirus software will prevent the Google Backup and Sync from signing in. And restarting and reinstalling the app still not working. The popular antivirus software includes Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, AVAST, Bitdefender, etc.
Cause 3. You Disconnect Your Google Account By Accident
There is a chance that you have disconnected your Google Account by accident even not get noticed.
Cause 4. Internet Connection Issue
If you have a bad internet connection, you will get the error There was a problem signing in.
Cause 5. Wrong Proxy and Firewall Settings
According to the above causes, and you can find the solutions below that we provided. Here it is:
Because Google Backup and Sync sign in will take some time to sign in especially when your computer has a bad prefermance. Just wait a moment, and then you should use the Google Backup and Sync Preferences option.
Click Google Backup and Sync icon in system tray, and tap Sign in button to resign in your Google Drive account.
Sometimes, you will find you cannot sign in your Google account, because it keeps you signing in even you have signed in and prepare to sync, after a while you will find the Google Backup and Sync signing out automatically and still not signed in.
If you are stuck in this loop. Please try Solution 3.
If you are stuck in Google Backup and Sync not signed in the loop, please restart the Google Backup and Sync, then sign in.
1. Click Google Backup and Sync icon in the system tray, and then tap the More three-dots icon, select Quit Backup and Sync.
2. Go to Start > Backup and Sync from Google to start.
3. Then sign in to your Google account.
It should be working. By the way, it’s working for me.
First of all, please disable antivirus software during the below whole process.
Then, uninstall Google Backup and Sync desktop app.
Restart your computer.
Download and install the latest Google Backup and Sync version.
If you use the WLAN to connect to the Internet, please use the Ethernet cable to connect the Internet. And then sign in.
Typically, restart fix most of the problems, including Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out.
Turn on Cookies
1. In Internet Explorer, select the Tools button and then select Internet options.
2. Select the Privacy > Settings > Advanced and choose Accept for first-party and third-party cookies.
1. Please go to Internet Explorer Internet Options, then click Security > Select Internet zone > then choose Custom level... button, Enable for Active Scripting in the Scripting section.
2. Then click Yes.
3. Click OK in the Internet Option window.
Then, turn on Firewall and proxy settings for your network, then your Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out will be fixed.
Sometimes, you have to reinstall Windows or Mac OS to fix the Google Drive preferences greyed out problem, and it's worked as proven.
After you fix the problem, you could sync files to Google Drive on the computer again. However, you might be stuck in Google Drive not syncing issue sometimes. What should you do? It’s highly recommended to try the best free cloud backup service CBackup to sync files to Google Drive automatically. Please download the freeware to have a try:
Steps to sync files to Google Drive automatically via CBackup:
1. Please create a new account of CBackup and sign in to the CBackup desktop app.
2. Tap the My Storage tab on the left panel, click Add Clouds, and select Google Drive and click Add. then follow the steps to grant access to CBackup.
3. Edit the Cloud name and Storage path for Google Drive on CBackup. Tick the Note option and click OK.
After adding Google Drive, you could sync files to Google Drive easily if you stuck in Google Backup and Sync preferences greyed out problem.
1. Tap the Sync tab, and then click Sync PC to Public Cloud.
2. Rename the Task Name, and then choose files you want to sync to Google Drive. Select a Google Drive folder as the sync target location.
3. (Optional) Tap the Settings option on the bottom left to tick Set a Sync schedule for automated Sync under Scheduler, and set the backup interval running automatically via at one time only, daily, weekly, or monthly.
5. Press the Start Sync button to sync files to Google Drive automatically as you set.
Besides, CBackup provides you the web version to perform:
Cloud to cloud backup with powerful backup settings, like email notification, file filter, version cleanup, etc.
Cloud to cloud sync to transfer files from one cloud to another easily and directly, and there is no need to download and upload.
And it's worth mentioning that CBackup is capable of merging multiple cloud drives if you meet the Google Drive storage full error, and then your Google Drive storage space will be increased, and then you could backup files to the combined cloud easily to manage Google Drive files.
Offers 10GB free cloud storage space of CBackup Cloud, and you could upgrade to enjoy up to 5TB.
If you find the Google Backup and Sync preferences greyed out problem, please find the causes and solutions offered above to fix Google Drive Preferences not working issue. And then sync files to Google Drive easily and safely.