Fix Google Backup and Sync Preferences Greyed Out | 7 Ways
You will find the causes and 7 solutions + 1 tip for you to solve Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out problem, just find the step-by-step guide.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
“My Backup and Sync not working what can I do? And my Google Bakcup and Sync Preferences option is diabled, i tried restarting and reinstalling, it’s still not working. Please help, Thanks.”
Question from support.google.com
Here you will find the causes to Google Preferences greyed out, and then check it for yourself:
Cause 1. Your Google Backup and Sync not signed in
If you did not disconnect your Google account in Backup and Sync app and get the Google Backup and sync Preferences greyed out issue, it’s probably that the Google Backup and Sync not signed in.
If you click the Google Backup and Sync icon in system tray before signing in, and click the three-dots icon, then you will find the Google backup and sync preferences greyed out problem.
Cause 2. Antivirus Software Block Google Backup and Sync Sign in
Sometimes, the antivirus software will prevent the Google Backup and Sync from signing in. And restarting and reinstalling the app still not working. The popular antivirus software includes Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, AVAST, Bitdefender, etc.
Cause 3. You Disconnect Your Google Account By Accident
There is a chance that you have disconnected your Google Account by accident even not get noticed.
Cause 4. Internet Connection Issue
If you have a bad internet connection, you will get the error There was a problem signing in.
Cause 5. Wrong Proxy and Firewall Settings
According to the above causes, and you can find the solutions below that we provided. Here it is:
Because Google Backup and Sync sign in will take some time to sign in especially when your computer has a bad prefermance. Just wait a moment, and then you should use the Google Backup and Sync Preferences option.
Click Google Backup and Sync icon in system tray, and tap Sign in button to resign in your Google Drive account.
Sometimes, you will find you cannot sign in your Google account, because it keeps you signing in even you have signed in and prepare to sync, after a while you will find the Google Backup and Sync signing out automatically and still not signed in.
If you stuck in this loop. Please try the Solution 3.
If you stuck in Google Backup and Sync not signed in loop, please restart the Google Backup and Sync, then sign in.
1. Click Google Backup and Sync icon in system tray, and then tap More three-dots icon, select Quit Backup and Sync.
2. Go to Start > Backup and Sync from Google to start.
3. Then sign in to your Google account.
It should be working. By the way, it’s working for me.
First of all, please disable antivirus software during the below whole process.
Then, uninstall Google Backup and Sync desktop app.
Restart your computer.
Download and install the lastest Google Backup and Sync version.
If you use the WLAN to connect to Internet, please use the Ethernet cable to connect the Internet. And then sign in.
Typically, restart fix most of the problems, including Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out.
Turn on Cookies
1. In Internet Explorer, select the Tools button, and then select Internet options.
2. Select the Privacy > Settings > Advanced and choose Accept for first-party and third-party cookies.
1. Please go to Internet Explorer Internet Options, then click Security > Select Internet zone > then choose Custom level... button, Enable for Active Scripting in the Scripting section.
2. Then click Yes.
3. Click OK in the Internet Option window.
Then, turn on Firewall and proxy settings for your network, then you Google Backup and Sync Preferences greyed out will be fixed.
After you fix the problem, you could sync files to Google Drive and Sync Google Drive to computer. However, you might stuck in Google Drive not syncing issue sometimes. What should you do? It’s highly recommended to try the best free file synchronization software AOMEI Backupper Standard to sync files to Google Drive automatically. Please download the freeware to have a try:
Steps to sync files to Google Drive automatically via AOMEI Backupper Standard:
1. Please select Backup tab on the main window, then choose File Sync.
2. Customize the Task Name and then tap + Add Folder button to choose the files and folders to sync to Google Drive.
3. Tap the little triangle icon > Select a cloud drive > choose Google Drive > click OK.
4. (Optional) Tap Schedule option to set the sync task running automatically via Daily, Weekly, and Monthly.
5. Press Start Sync >> button to sync files to Google Drive automatically.
Besides, you could sync Google Drive to computer, even external hard drive, etc.
If you find Google Backup and Sync greyed out problem, please find the causes and solutions offered above to fix Google Drive Preferences not working issue. And then sync files to Google Drive easily and safely.