3 Ways + 1 Tip to Backup Dropbox to Synology NAS | 2021 Guide
Here provide 3 solutions to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS for free, and 1 tip for you to gain Dropbox extra cloud storage for free.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
Hello, I am a Dropbox business user and try to backup my entire Dropbox folder to a Synology NAS. As I understood so far, the official option to do this would be to use the App "Cloud Sync" from Synology. The problem with this option for me is, that i cannot backup all folders in Dropbox.
And the backup would be to be performed on a regular basis (daily or weekly, no real-time backup is necessary) and paid third-party applications would be also a possibility for me if this won’t be possible with the standard Dropbox or Synology Apps. Would be really thankful for any recommendations.
-- Question from dropboxforum.com
Did you encounter the above situation to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS? Although Synology provides you two software to backup Synology NAS to Dropbox, you could backup Dropbox to Synology NAS only with Synology Cloud Sync. Because Synology Hyper Backup only backup Synology NAS to Dropbox instead of backing up Dropbox to Synology NAS.
Hence, we will show you 3 ways to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS easily in the next part.
If you are planning to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS, the traditional way you might think is: download the entire Dropbox folder to local computer and then backup the entire Dropbox folder to Synology NAS with Synology Drive Client.
1. Please sign in to your Dropbox account, and go to Dropbox drive, tick all Dropbox folders in the root folder, and click Download.
2. You will get a folder named Dropbox.zip, then please unzip the file to get Dropbox folder.
3. Please install Synology Drive Client on your computer and execute the program. (Ensure you have installed Synology Drive Server in Synology NAS to run Synology Drive Client.)
4. Press Start Now button.
5. Select Backup Task. Then input the Synology NAS credentials, and click Next.
6. Click Edit to specify the source folder (unzipped Dropbox folder) and the destination folder in Synology NAS, select a sync mode in Advanced settings: Two-way sync, Download data from Drive Server only or One-way upload.
7. Set up the settings for Shared with me.
8. Click Apply to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS.
1. Please install Synology Cloud Sync on your Synology NAS and open it.
2. It will prompt you to select a cloud drive to sync, select Dropbox and click Next. Then follow the on-screen guide to grant Synology Cloud Sync authority to access your Dropbox files.
3. Then choose a folder in Synology NAS as the Local path, and choose Dropbox Root folder as the Remote path, select Download remote changes only in Sync direction.
4. Click the Schedule settings button to set up the backup task run regularly, here we run the backup task every Sunday, click OK > Next.
5. Press the Apply button on the bottom if you confirm the settings for backing up Dropbox to Synology NAS.
Then backup Dropbox to Synology NAS will start every Sunday automatically. Besides, you could choose Bidirectional or Upload local changes only to backup Synology NAS to Dropbox.
There is another reliable way to backup Dropbox to Synology NAS with free Windows backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard. It allows you to backup Dropbox to Synology or vice versa, as well as backup files to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.
Moreover, It provides you powerful features to backup:
Email Notification will help you get emal alert after backup finished successfully or failed.
You could compress, split, comment on the backup file as you want.
Flexible backup solutions provided: Full Backup and Incremental Backup.
Schedule Backup will help you backup Dropbox to Synology NAS daily, weekly, or monthly, etc.
Step 1. Perform AOMEI Backupper Standard after installing, select Backup > File Backup subsequently.
Step 2. Click Add Folder to choose the Dropbox entire folder as the source directory.
Step 3. Select a folder in Synology NAS as the destination.
Step 4. (Optional) Tap Schedule on the bottom left, then choose daily/weekly/monthly to backup the entire Dropbox in General tab, select Incremental Backup in Advanced tab, and hit OK.
Step 5. Press Start Backup to backup the entire Dropbox to Synology NAS easily.
Note: Incremental Backup method will help you to save the disk space in Synology NAS, because it only backup the changed part since the last backup instead of backing up all the files.
If you backup Dropbox to Synology NAS due to the Dropbox is full problem, and don’t want to upgrade Dropbox account to get other extra storage, It’s highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service CBackup to increase Dropbox cloud storage for free by merging multiple Dropbox accounts into one big backup space. Then backup files to Dropbox freely with CBackup.
Note: Ensure you have created multiple Dropbox accounts, then follow the steps listed below.
1. Please create a free CBackup account, then sign in to CBackup desktop app.
2. Click the My Storage tab, and click Add Cloud, then choose Dropbox and click Add. Then follow the guide to allow CBackup to access your Dropbox files.
3. Edit the Display Name and Storage Path, then tick the option “Note: Please do not change the path directly in the third-party cloud disk, or modify or delete the backup file.”, then click OK.
4. Follow the step 2 and step 3 to add other Dropbox accounts to CBackup.
1. Click the Backup Tasks tab, then click the New Task button.
2. Rename the Task Name, then click Add Source button to choose files you want to backup.
3. Click Add Destination > Combined Cloud, and hit Next, tick the multiple Dropbox accounts you added before, and press Next > OK.
4. (Optional) Tap Settings on the bottom left, tap Scheduled Backup tab, then set up the interval to backup files to Dropbox, like a specific time, daily, weekly, or monthly.
5. Press the Start Backup button to backup files to Dropbox to fix your Dropbox is full problem.
Backing up Dropbox to Synology NAS is not a difficult thing if you follow the above steps to perform Synology Dropbox backup. And you should know Synology Hyper Backup can only backup Synology NAS to Dropbox, not vice versa.
Download entire Dropbox folder and backup to Synology NAS with Synology Drive Client is quite complex; And Synology Cloud Sync and AOMEI Backupper Standard could be one of your best choices. If you backup Dropbox to Synology NAS due to your Dropbox is full error, CBackup will do you a big favor.