Nowadays, with the development of information technology, how to ensure data security is the most important. “Double insurance” and even “multi-insurance” solutions can be seen everywhere. Backup has become an indispensable part of our life.
Public cloud storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive is an affordable resource for both individuals and small/medium businesses. Backing up your Synology NAS to cloud can minimize the impact of sudden situations like local disk corruption or natural disasters. Here, I will introduce you to 2 effective ways. Let's have a look.
Way 1. Synology Cloud Backup with Cloud Sync
Cloud Sync is a synchronization suite mainly used between the public cloud and NAS. Compared to Hyper Backup, it supports more clouds. Although it only has a synchronization function, you can choose two-way synchronization or one-way synchronization. NAS data synced to the cloud can be accessed directly, and encryption is supported to protect your data on the cloud.
1. Download Cloud Sync from the Package Center and open it from the main menu.
2. In the pop-up window, you can see all the clouds it supports. Choose the cloud service you want. Here, we take OneDrive as an example.
3. Enter your OneDrive account to log in. After logging in, you will be prompted to authorize Cloud Sync to access your account.
4. Once the connection has been established, you can begin configuring your backup. Please select local and remote paths. And then you can set a suitable sync direction based on your individual needs.
✦ If you choose to sync the root folder of the public cloud, you cannot create additional tasks. If not, you can create multiple sync tasks within a cloud connection.
✦ If necessary, tick Data Encryption, which will encrypt the data sent to the public cloud and decrypt it with the same password when downloading. The selected folder on the NAS will remain unencrypted. Please note that this process is irreversible.
5. Click Next to preview your settings. If you only want to sync specific folders or file types, click Advanced Settings.
6. Click Apply to finish your backup task.
7. Now you can see that your backup task has been successfully set up.
Way 2. Synology Cloud Backup with AOMEI Backupper Standard
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free Windows backup software for you to backup Synology NAS to cloud, like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. You could set up backup settings like compression, splitting, email notification, and schedule settings for Synology cloud backup. And it provides you the user-friendly interface to backup Synology NAS to cloud with simple clicks. Before doing that, please ensure you have installed OneDrive desktop app and sign in to your OneDrive account.
Here is how to backup Synology NAS to OneDrive with AOMEI Backupper Standard:
1. Please download and install AOMEI Backupper Standard, and then perform the freeware. Click Backup > File Backup on the left panel.
2. Click Add Folder or Add File > Share/NAS > Add Share or NAS Devices > Input your Synology NAS IP address as Network Path, and input the credentials and click OK to choose Synolgoy NAS as the source.
3. Press the inverted triangle icon > Select a cloud drive > choose OneDrive, and click OK.
4. (Optional) Set the schedule settings with Schedule option to backup Synology NAS to OneDrive daily, weekly, or monthly. And you could click Options for other settings.
5. Press Start Backup button to backup Synology NAS to OneDrive easily and auotmatically.
Bonus Tip for Synology Cloud Backup
Although it's easy to perform Synology cloud backup, it's troublesome to get more storage space on your cloud drives easpeically there is a plenty of data to be backed up and don't have enough budgets. How to get more cloud storage space?
It's highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service CBackup, which allows you to combine mutilple cloud drives into large backup space, and then you could protect more data from Synology NAS. You can add your own clouds to it without limit, and then quickly and easily transfer data between the clouds. Currently, the software is totally free and supports Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, FTP/SFTP.
How to increase cloud storage space to protect more data from Synology NAS with CBackup?
1. Please register for a CBackup account and then sign in to CBackup desktop app.
2. Tap the My Storage tab. Click Add Cloud and select OneDrive in pop-up window. Click Add.
3. (Log into your OneDrive account if you haven't logged in) Click allow to make CBackup access to your OneDrive account. Then, you can reset Display Name, Storage Path, and tick Note and press OK.
Repeat the process to add more OneDrive accounts you have, and then combine the cloud storage of all OneDrive accounts that you added above.
1. Click My Storage > + > New Combined Cloud.
2. Modify the combined cloud name if required, tick all OneDrive accounts, and click Next.
3. Determine the cloud drive order using the up and down triangle icon and press OK. Now your OneDrive accounts has been combined, and you could protect more data from Synolgoy NAS.
Note: You could combine multiple cloud drives even different clouds, which means you could combine OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox together, or combine all accounts of one cloud drive.
Besides CBackup desktop app is not only perform PC cloud backup but also backup files to Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive and CBackup Cloud, Moreover, you could peform cloud to cloud backup, cloud to cloud sync to transfer files from one cloud to another account easily, and there is no need to download and upload.
About the data security, there are some information you should know:
Files are all transmitted using 256-bit AES encryption for SSL.
Data will be stored in your own cloud disk.
CBackup will not save or cache your data and password.
This is all about how to backup your Synology NAS to cloud easily and quickly, choose the one based on your own needs. I hope these two methods can help you manage your files more efficiently and protect your data to avoid data loss caused by unexpected situations.