Unknown installer error in Google Drive
“I have trouble in installing Google Drive on my new Windows 10 Computer. It keeps saying Unknown Installer Error. I attached my screenshot of my problem below. Thanks so much for your help!”
Numerous people may encounter the issue of unknown installer error Google Drive and have no idea how to deal with it well. This article will demonstrate multiple useful solutions for you, and your worries will be eliminated soon. Let’s get started now.
Why is Google Drive not installing?
Before coming to the point, let’s have an exploration of the reasons for Google Drive failing to be installed. Google Drive can be listed as one of the most famous cloud storage services for its favorable features. However, there are still some mistakes that may lead to installer errors of Google Drive, which may irritate many users. Here, we summed up 4 possible causes below:
☛Your Windows installer aims to install an app that already exists on your system.
☛The folder that you are trying to install was encrypted earlier with the Windows installer package.
☛The system account on the folder that you are trying to add to the Windows installer package is out of control.
☛There may be malware and virus attacks in your system.
You can have a check for these possible errors above first, but what if there’s nothing wrong with the points mentioned for you? Don’t worry, no matter what causes your Google Drive installer error, you can also try the following 9 solutions.
8 solutions to Google Drive not installing
Here, we concluded 8 different ways to solve your problem in total, please read the detailed introduction as follows.
1. Make sure the installation drive is correct
If you encounter the issue of Google Drive not installing in Windows 10/11 or others, you may try to check if your installation drive is correct at first. Sometimes, your install-package will be saved to a substitute drive, which is also called a virtual drive. In this way, your installation of Google Drive will not succeed. So, please ensure that you will not install your Google Drive to one of these substitute drives.
2. Choose full control permissions
After checking, if you still can’t install Google Drive on your computer, you can try to allow the permissions for system to make full control of download. Here’s how to do it.
1. Press Windows + E on the keyboard at the same time to open the File Explorer/Windows Explorer.
2. Next, please right-click on the drive to which you plan to install the Google Drive. Then, select the Properties option.
3. On the Properties window, click on Security. Next, you should ensure that the user names box contains the SYSTEM option, and if not, then, you need to do as follows:
✎Note: If you need to add the SYSTEM account, please click on the Edit > Add icon in turn, then it will show the Select Users or Groups dialog box, just type SYSTEM and then click on Check names > OK.
4. Now, please click on Edit again and select the SYSTEM option to check if the Permissions for SYSTEM shows allowing the Full control section. If not, please turn it on. You can try to install Google Drive again to see if it works.
3. Install Google Drive in unencrypted folder
If the issue remains, another simple way to fix the error of installing Google Drive is to install Google Drive in unencrypted folder. Since when you are going to install the Windows installer application in an encrypted folder, it may prevent you from installing it on your device. Therefore, you should try to install Google Drive in an unencrypted folder.
4. Reset the registry entries
The installer error in Google Drive on Mac desktop may occur due to your prevention of registry entries on your device. So you can reset the registry entries on your device as follows.
1. Open the Run dialog by pressing Windows key + R meanwhile. Then, type “services.msc” and click OK or press Enter.
2. Then, you should find the Registry Entries option and just right-click on it. Then, click on the Reset option to reset your system to the default version.
5. Install an antivirus application
In addition, Google Drive error in installer may be due to unknown malware and virus attacks. To solve this problem, you’re suggested to install an antivirus application on your desktop and conduct an overall scan for your device. Since your antivirus app will identify all the malware and virus that may influence your system, you can just select the one-click repair option to delete all those useless files. After that, relaunch your system and install Google Drive again.
6. Apply the troubleshooting tool
If you are a Windows OS user, you are lucky. Since Windows OS has its own troubleshooting tool in the system. It can help you fix some small problems automatically. You can also try to fix this Google Drive not installing problem with this tool. The detailed steps are listed below:
1. Press the Windows + S Key to open your search window. Then, just input “Troubleshooting Tool” in the search bar and click Enter.
2. Then, on the Troubleshoot window, click the Scan button to find all the problems in the system and it will automatically fix those small issues for you.
3. Now, please reboot your device and try to install Google Drive once again.
7. Uninstall and reinstall Google Drive
If the methods mentioned above can not solve your problem, maybe there is something wrong with the current installer you download, so just try to uninstall it and reinstall another new one instead. You can follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall Google Drive.
1. Please click Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program one by one.
2. After that, you should find the Google Drive and right-click on it to choose Uninstall and Google Drive will be removed from your system.
3. Now, go to any web browser you prefer and download the latest Google Drive installer.
8. Use Google Drive on the Web
If you can’t install Google Drive on Android, or other mobile devices, there is another way for you. You are able to sign up for your Google Drive account on the website and login to it to access Google Drive files on the Web without downloading and installing the app.
Best alternative to Google Drive installation: CBackup
If your aim of installing Google Drive is just for uploading plenty of local files in your Windows PCs/Macs to the cloud, for data security or conducting other files syncing and managements, it is highly suggested to try CBackup to enjoy free secure file backup online easily. And you don’t have to worry about the installer error anymore. Please read on to learn more about it.
As a powerful and professional cloud backup software, CBackup can offer you a total of 10 GB of free cloud storage to transfer files online for free with rather simple operations. It supports CBackup desktop app in Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/XP and CBackup web app on any mobile device. Besides, you can backup and sync large files from local to cloud automatically without any file size limitation.
✿Main Features of CBackup:
1. It supports the third-party backup drives without payment, say OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive, etc. so cloud to cloud backup can also be realized with CBackup easily. In addition, you are able to sync the files from one public cloud to another in only one platform via CBackup web app, which is quite quick and convenient.
2. You can enjoy unlimited free cloud storage by combining multiple cloud drives or several accounts with CBackup, which is unique on the market currently.
3. CBackup can provide you with high security and super stability based on its tech support and policy guarantee.
4. Other useful services for you: schedule backup/sync, email notification, file filter and so on.
5. You can enjoy a total of 2,000 GB of free data per month for backup and sync from cloud to cloud or backup from local to a third-party cloud .
Steps to conduct free file transfer online with CBackup
Now, please follow the detailed descriptions of backing up files to CBackup Cloud with CBackup.
Please check and take the steps as follows:
1. Please download CBackup desktop app and sign up for an account with CBackup, and sign in to it.
Step 2. Next, select the New Task button on the left navigation to create a new task.
Step 3. (It is optional for you to edit the Task Name as you like.) Click on Add Source.
Step 4. After that, select Local Files > Next in turn to choose the file you want to backup.
Step 5. Click on Add Destination and select CBackup Cloud, then click Next.
Step 6. Finally, just click the Start Backup option, and then it will begin your backup task accordingly.
✎Tip: If you already have Google Drive account, you can backup files to Google Drive with CBackup as well. Here’s the example of backing up local files to Google Drive.
Please do the steps as follows:
1. Click My Storage on the left bar, then click Add Cloud, select Google Drive and continue clicking Add. Next follow the guide to grant authority to CBackup, allowing CBackup to access your Google Drive account safely.
2. Then, edit the Display name and Storage path, and tick the Note option and click OK.
3. Likewise, click Backup Tasks >New Task one by one. Click Add Source to choose files to transfer to Google Drive, and click Add Destination > Single Cloud > Next > Google Drive > OK step by step.
4. Finally, press the Start Backup button and it will backup the files to Google Drive automatically.
✎Note: If the cloud storage is still not enough for you, you can enlarge your storage space for free with Combined Cloud.
In the end
No matter what makes you face the problem of unknown installer error Google Drive, these 8 professional methods can help you settle it down efficiently. However, if you wanna resolve the installation error in Google Drive in the long run, you’d better try the free alternative: CBackup, to help you backup and sync files easily and quickly.