Synology cloud sync is useful tool on Synology NAS, which help users effortlessly backup or sync files or folders between local Synology NAS and public cloud services, such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Amazon Drive, Backblaze B2, Dropbox, etc.
Meanwhile, it provides many useful features, which makes sync task more flexible, including sync direction, selective sync, schedule sync, encryption and compression, traffic control, and more.
Backup Synology NAS to Google Drive with Synology Cloud Sync
In the following, you will learn the detailed steps to perform Synology backup to Google Drive. Please make preparations first and then backup your data.
Make sure the DiskStation is running Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) 6.0 or above.
Download Synology Cloud Sync from package center in Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) and launch it. Just open package center, then search for Cloud Sync, and click "Install". After successful installation, click "Open" under Cloud Sync.
Log in to your Google Drive account before performing Synology backup to Google Drive.
Detailed steps to Synology cloud backup with Google Drive:
1. Click the Create button "+" at the lower left corner, then select Google Drive among many cloud providers, and click "Next" to authorize Synology Cloud Sync access to Google Drive.
2. Then, it will brings up the "Task setting" window, select local path, remote path, sync direction.
Connection name: It will automatically display the cloud drive that you choosed.
Local path and Remote path: The choice of both paths determine the way to backup Synology NAS to Google Drive. To backup entire Synology NAS, just select Root folder as local path. Also, you can choose specific local as local folders to backup. The Remote path is the Google Drive root folder or the Google Drive folder you choose.
Sync direction: This feature allows users to sync files with one-way via "Download remote changes only" or "Upload local changes only". Also, you can enable two-way file synchronization by "Bidirectional" to backup Google Drive to Synology NAS, and backup Synology NAS to Google Drive as well.
3. Set other settings at the lower location and click "Next".
Data encryption: This feature can enhance the security of your data and reduce unauthorized access, which allows you to encrypt folders before backing up Synology NAS to Google Drive.
Don't remove files in the destination folder when they are removed in the source folder: This feature is very useful for accidentally deleted files, because it still keeps a copy of your files on remote path and reduces the risk of data loss.
Convert Google online documents to Microsoft Office or jpeg formats: Actually, this option makes it easier for users to view Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides.
4. Click "Advanced settings" and configure settings for folders and files. After that, click "Apply" to perform Synology backup to Google Drive.
Folder: unselect the folder you don’t want to backup.
Filter by file size: set the maximum file size to be synced. By default, Synology Cloud Sync does not sync single file over 5TB.
Filter by file type: uncheck any type of file you don’t need.
Filter by file name or extension: type a specific name for files or file extensions (eg: *.iso).
Backup Synology NAS to Google Drive with AOMEI Backupper
Apart from the Synology Cloud Sync, there is an easier way to backup Synology NAS to Google Drive, the free backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, which allows you backup NAS to cloud, like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and so on. Besides, you could backup files, external hard drives, USBs, SD cards, or other devices to any location you want.
Note: Please ensure you have installed Drive for desktop on your computer, and then AOMEI Backupper can detect Google Drive.
Here is how to backup Synology NAS to Google Drive via AOMEI Backupper Standard:
1. Please download and install AOMEI Backupper Standard on your computer, then execute the program.
2. Click Backup > File Backup subsequently.
3. Hit the Add Folder or Add File button, then Share/NAS, and choose the Synology NAS files.
4. Select the Google Drive folder as the destination, then press the Start Backup button to backup Synology NAS to Google Drive easily.
You could configure Options to comment, compress, split or encrypt the backup image, and create a full backup or incremental backup with Schedule Backup, and manage old backup versions with Backup Scheme. Just explore and enjoy.
What to Do If Google Drive Stroage Full?
If you are using Google Drive, you may know it only provides registered users 15GB cloud storage for free and it will run out in a very short time. Then, you will not upload any files or videos to Google Drive until you have enough space.
To increase Google Drive storage, there are two ways.
The first one is what Google expects, upgrade the free to a paid account for more space.
The second is about to be introduced in this article, make full use of free space on clouds (here is Google Drive) with the free cloud backup service - CBackup.
If you plan to invest deeply in Google Drive, you can use the first method. But if you have multiple Google Drive accounts and just want to get 100GB free cloud storage or enough space to store your files, please turn to CBackup for help. It will increase Google Drive for free by merging multiple Google Drive accounts, even different cloud drives, like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.
Increase Google Drive Storage for Free
To increase Google Drive storage space with CBackup, you only need to connect all of your Google Drive accounts to CBackup. Then, this software will take care of the rest.
2. Add Google Drives. Click on "Storage", select Google Drive, and click "Authorize Now". Then click "Allow" to authorize CBackup to access and give it the ability to see, edit, create, and delete all of your Google Drive files.
3. Modify the Cloud name for the added Google Drive. Then, click the checkbox before "Note: Please don't modify or delete the CBackup path or backup files in your Google Drive account." and click "OK".
4. Repeat Steps 2-3 to add other Google Drive accounts. Please remember to change the default name to a unique one to distinguish.
Step 2. Increase Google Drive Accounts for Free
Now, you could increase Google Drive storage for free with the following steps:
1. Tap the Storage tab, and click +Add Combined Cloud.
2. Customize the name of the combined cloud, tick all your Google Drive accounts, and click Next.
3. Use the triangle icon to determine the order of cloud drives to store files, and click Combine.
Then you could enjoy the combined cloud by clicking Backup > Backup PC to Combined Cloud to backup files to Google Drive.
In addition to increasing Google Drive storage, you still can use CBackup with other useful features:
Synology backup to Google Drive adds a new lock to your files, which makes it more secure. But if you are a free user of Google Drive, you may have a big headache with enough cloud storage in the near future.
To solve this problem completely, you can upgrade to a paid plan. If your budget is limited, you can combine cloud storage into one with CBackup. The premise is that you have enough Google Drive accounts. And if you need to perform cloud to cloud sync, or cloud to cloud backup, CBackup can also provide help.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup