My OneDrive preview is not working!
“Well, I've uploaded my pictures onto OneDrive and it didn't have any problem with the preview until recently. At first, I could see the old pictures but not the recently uploaded ones. But now, I can't see a single preview in all of my pictures and videos. Even on the web version, it says something like ‘Hmm looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you’. The only way I can see a picture is to download it. It's frustrating me a lot. I wonder fix this OneDrive preview not working issue.”
Thumbnails preview is not working in OneDrive folders
Nowadays, OneDrive is one of the best cloud storage solutions that helps users store, access, and share files easily. Generally, users can add OneDrive to their Windows computer and have all files synchronize locally to the cloud and vice-versa through the OneDrive folder. This folder is very useful, but sometimes, it also may bring some troubles to users.
As the user case above shows, users find that OneDrive preview pane is not working, which shows the generic image instead of the actual image preview or video mini-player control. This issue usually occurs in the OneDrive folder. If you are facing this OneDrive photo preview not working issue, you can read on to learn the most effective 4 ways to solve this OneDrive folder problem.
How to fix OneDrive thumbnail preview not working issue?
In the following contents, you will learn 4 ways to fix this OneDrive thumbnail preview not working issue in OneDrive folder. Please keep reading to learn the detailed information and steps.
Fix 1. Disable files on demand
Generally, when you find that OneDrive thumbnail preview is not working, the first thing you can do to fix the problem is to disable the Files on Demand:
1. Go to the Taskbar and right-click the OneDrive icon.
2. Select More. A new window will open where you have to click on the Settings tab.
3. Uncheck the Files on Demand service.
4. Restart your PC and look if you can now see all the thumbnails appropriately.
Fix 2. Change the icon view
Another factor that may cause the OneDrive preview not working issue is the size of the icons. So you can change the icon view with the following steps to see if this issue can be solved:
1. Open Control Panel in Windows 10.
2. In the search box, type folder and then click on the File Explorer Options.
3. Click on the View tab and uncheck the Always show icons option and make sure that Display file icons on thumbnails is active.
4. Go back to the Control Panel and type in System.
5. A new window will pop up. Select View advanced system settings.
6. Click on Settings (under Performance) and check Show thumbnails instead of icons.
Fix 3. Clear the thumbnail cache
If you want to display the thumbnails, you should make sure you have enough space for the thumbnail cache in the system drive So, you should check the disk space and make sure you have enough space for the thumbnail cache. If not, please clean your disk to free up some space first.
1. Open the File Explorer. In the left pane, click on This PC.
2. Right-click on drive C: where Windows 10 is installed and select Properties.
3. Click on the Clean Disk button.
4. Select the Thumbnail option and delete all other options. And then click on OK.
5. Click Delete Files to confirm and complete the task.
Fix 4. Check the settings of your folder
If the thumbnails preview still does not appear in Windows 10, there may be something wrong with your folder settings. You can follow the steps below to check the settings of your folder:
1. Open the File Explorer and click on the View tab.
2. Click Options to open Folder Options and then click on the View tab.
3. Be sure to uncheck the Always display icons, never thumbnails box and click on Apply.
4. Click OK to complete the task.
Tips: What if all the fixes above can’t solve the problem?
Under normal circumstances, the above methods can help you solve this OneDrive preview not working issue. But if none of the above methods work, you can try some temporary measures below.
Tip 1. Preview your files through OneDrive website
Since OneDrive offers both the desktop app and web app, you can turn to the web app if the desktop app cannot work normally. If you need to preview your files urgently, you can go to the OneDrive website and preview your file.
Tip 2. Turn to another cloud storage without preview issue
If you can’t solve this issue in OneDrive successfully, you can turn to another cloud storage like Google Drive or Dropbox that allows you to preview your files normally. If you need to migrate your OneDrive files to new cloud storage, you can use a reliable cloud to cloud backup tool such as CBackup to help you achieve that easily and quickly.
Let’s see how to move files between two cloud storage with CBackup:
1. Just go to the website of CBackup, then type your email, password, and name to create an account and sign in.
2. Under the My Storage tab, click My Storage + to select the cloud you want to add and follow the instructions to grant CBackup access to the account. You can add multiple accounts in the same way.
3. Click on Backup Tasks tab at the top of the page, then, click New Task button.
4. Name your backup task, click Add Source button to add one account as the transfer source. Similarly, click Add Destination button to add another account as the backup destination.
That’s all about how to fix OneDrive preview not working issue in Windows 10 and you can try the 4 methods to solve this issue efficiently. If all of the solutions cannot fix this error successfully, there are also 2 tips that you can try as temporary repair measures.