6 Easy Fixes to Local Disk D Missing Problem And 1 Tip
My local disk D is missing suddenly, How do I fix it easily? Here you will find 6 ways and 1 tip for you to recover local D drive effectively.
Eliminate all your concerns with the Best Cloud Backup service - CBackupGet Started
My local disk D missing in Windows 10
Hi all, I got a problem with drive D. I was using my laptop yesterday and it was everything OK and after turning it on today I am missing drive D. The point is that I didn't do anything before I shut down yesterday. I was really surprised that it had just disappeared. Does anybody have any tips?
- Question from tenforums.com
If you are stuck in the above situation, please calm down and read this article carefully before taking action.
First of all, you need to troubleshoot the problem using the basic information, that disk D is another physical hard disk in your computer or just a part of your current hard disk.
If the D is just the part of your current hard disk, maybe the D drive letter is occupied by other partitions (like CD or DVD drive), or the D drive letter is missing somehow, just change the drive letter directly or resign the drive letter in Disk Management.
If the local disk D is another hard disk in your computer and missing, there are some reasons that should be responsible for the problem, like Windows update, stone dead, faulty port, damaged cable, formatted, outdated drive driver, even the hard drive physical damage, etc. Meanwhile, if your missing disk includes multiple partitions, like D, E, etc. And all partitions will be gone, so how to fix the local disk D and E missing problem? Just keep reading to solve this annoying issue.
Now, we will show you 6 effective ways to fix it with detailed information, just follow me.
If you found that your local D drive is missing, the first thing you must do is reboot your computer. Because reboot can solve most of the computer problems. After that check if the D drive still missing. Congratulations if that works, or you might need to try the next way if the problem still exists.
1. Please click This PC on your desktop, and then right-click it, select the Manage option.
2. It will open the Computer Management window, now, click Action > Rescan Disks.
After scanning, see whether the local Disk D missing is solved or not.
If you have outdated drive driver on your computer, the disk can be inaccessible, even the local D drive suddenly missing, etc. So, please update your device drive to the latest version.
1. Please go to This PC > Manage > System Tools > Device Manager > Disk Drives.
2. Expand Disk drives, and right click the hard disk, and choose Update driver option.
3. It will update the driver automatically. Now check my local D drive still missing or not.
Sometimes, the local hard disk D missing is caused by a damaged cable or faulty port, just reconnect the D drive with another cable or port, and check it. Of course, you could take out the local disk D and put it into a hard drive enclosure with a USB port, then check if the problem is solved.
Now, see if your local hard drive appears in the BIOS or not, if you cannot find it in BIOS, please go to safe mode to troubleshoot.
1. Restart your computer and repeatedly click the F8 key while booting, and choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking option.
2. Then run the command prompt as an administrator.
3. Execute the command lines one by one:
chkdsk /f /r
Tip: If it ask you to schedule the chkdsk the next time the system restarts, please input Y to confirm this operation.
If you confirmed that the local disk D is missing due to the physical damage, the only option to this problem is replacing it with another one. You may need the help of professionals and advice to make sure it is replaced properly.
After trying the above solutions, you’re probably to fix it now. After fixing it. It’s highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service - CBackup to backup your hard drive critical data to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. And it prevents you from losing data on the local hard drive due to unexpected things, like system crash, disk failure, etc.
Besides, CBackup provides you the powerful features while backing up:
Now, please follow the detailed steps to backup local hard disk to Google Drive for example:
1. Please download the CBackup desktop app, and then sign up for a new CBackup account, and log in.
2. Select the My Storage tab, and click the + Add Cloud button, select Google Drive and click Add. Then grant CBackup to access Google Drive. Back to CBackup window, and completed the Google Drive information.
3. Tap the Backup Tasks > New Task > Local Files > Next.
4. Customize the Task Name to differ from others, click Add Source button to choose the local hard disk, click Add Destination > Single Cloud > Google Drive > OK.
5. Press the Start Backup button to backup hard drive to Google Drive easily.
Tip: You could set up the schedule backup, email notificaiton, and file filter in Settings (on the bottom left corner).
If your Google Drive storage space is not enough to hold all your hard drive files, you could use the combined cloud of CBackup to merge multiple Google Drive accounts to increase Google Drive storage space for free. Moreover, CBackup offers you other useful features like:
Here, you could find the 6 solutions for the local disk D is missing on your computer, and after solving it, it’s highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service to backup hard drive to cloud to safeguard your data.