5 Ways to Move Google Drive Folder to Desktop in Windows
Can You move Google Drive folder to desktop in Windows computer? There are 5 ways to copy Google Drive folder to desktop with the step-by-step guide.
Ready to safeguard your cloud data?Get Started
Sometimes, it’s necessary to move Google Drive folder to other locations, like the desktop, new drive, etc. Is there any way to copy Google Drive folder to desktop? Of course you have ways to get it. But how to move Google Drive folder to Desktop easily? What should you do? Here we will walk you through with the details to transfer Google Drive folder to desktop.
There are 2 solutions for you to move Google Drive folder to desktop if you are using Backup and Sync, let’s show you with the details:
If you prefer to move Google Drive default folder to desktop, you have the following way to get it while setting up Google Backup and Sync.
If you haven’t set up your Google Backup and Sync on your computer:
1. Once you signed in to your Google Drive account after installing, set up your computer folders to sync at My Computer tab, then go to Google Drive tab, then tick Sync My Drive to this computer option, then click Change... behind the Folder location, then choose Desktop as the destination. Choose the option you want to sync.
2. Then click Start button to finish setting up, and now you have moved Google Drive folder to desktop successfully.
If you’ve already started syncing folders with Backup and Sync but still want to move Google Drive folder to desktop:
1. You need to disconnect your Google Drive account and copy all content of the Google Drive folder to the folder on desktop as you want.
2. Open your Backup and Sync app, then click Change... at the Google Drive tab to pick the desktop folder. Then it will move Google Drive folder to desktop.
1. Click the Backup and Sync icon on the system tray, tap More icon > Quit Backup and Sync.
2. Then Copy Google Drive folder to desktop, then delete the original Google Drive folder. The Google Drive folder location is usually at C:\Users\[yourusername]\Google Drive.
3. Start Google Backup and Sync on your computer, then it will show the following error message:
A synced folder is missing. Backup and Sync is trying to sync “Google Drive”, but the folder has either been moved or deleted.
4. Click Locate to choose the Google Drive folder on desktop, click Confirm. then the Google Drive folder has been moved to the desktop successfully.
With Google Drive File Stream, there is no Google Drive default folder, because Google Drive File Stream stores files on the cloud without taking up hard drive space. But you could copy Google Drive folder to desktop.
How to move files from Google Drive to Desktop? There are 3 ways below to show you how to move folder from Google Drive to desktop.
If you are using Google Drive File Stream (Drive for Desktop) app, you could do the following things to move Google Drive folder to desktop:
1. Ensure you have logged in your Google Drive account, click Google Drive icon in the system tray, then click the Folder icon at the top right corner.
2. Double-click the My Drive folder, then choose the folder you want to move to desktop, select Move to at the top, and then choose Desktop.
3. Then you will move Google Drive folders to desktop. It will download the folders to Desktop, and delete them automatically within Google Drive.
The folders you moved to Desktop just like other folders locally even disconnect from your Google Drive account.
Besides, you could use the traditional way to move Google Drive folder to desktop: Copy and Paste.
1. Open your Google Drive folder (Google Drive File Stream) on your computer, open My Drive.
2. Select the Google Drive folders you want to copy to desktop. And press Ctrl + C to copy Google Drive folders.
3. Go to the Desktop, and press Ctrl + V to copy Google Drive folder to desktop directly.
And just like the way you did above, it will be deleted from Google Drive folder. For webpage, you could to go Trash to find the folders.
Except for the desktop app, you could try the Google Drive webpage, please log in to your Google Drive account.
1. Choose the Google Drive folders, right click them, and choose Download to download the folders to the local Windows Download folder.
2. After downloading finished, please open the folder containing the download file (suffix with .zip), then unzip the file. Then select the Google Drive folders, and choose Move to, select the Desktop folder as the destination.
3. Then your Google Drive folders will be moved to desktop easily.
As you know, Google Drive has 15GB free cloud storage space, and if you use Google Drive as a backup, it will be filled up quickly. If you have multiple Google Drive accounts and don’t want to upgrade for more cloud storage space, it’s highly recommended to try the free cloud backup service CBackup to merge Google Drive accounts into one big backup space for free.
Here is how to increase Google Drive Storage space for free:
1. Download and launch the CBackup desktop app, please create a new CBackup account and sign in.
2. Go to My Storage > Add Cloud, choose Google Drive and click Add. Then follow the on-screen guide to allow CBackup to access your Google Drive account.
3. Edit the Display Name, Storage Path, then tick the "Note: Please do not change the path directly in the third-party cloud disk, or modify or delete the backup file." option, and click OK.
4. Then repeat step 2 - step 3 to add other Google Drive accounts. And click My Storage > + > New Combined Cloud to merge storage of cloud drives that you added.
5. Now your Google Drive storage has been increased for free, and you could sync files to Google Drive freely without worrying about Google Drive storage full problem.
Besides, if you encounter Google Backup and Sync not syncing problem, you could try the CBackup to backup files to cloud.
If you prefer to move Google Drive folder to desktop, there are several solutions to realize that according to the above words. Just find a suitable solution to copy Google Drive folder to desktop. And you could try CBackup to increase Google cloud storage for free with simple clicks if you encounter the Google Drive storage full problem.