On July 19, 2021, Google Drive announced that Backup and Sync would be replaced by Drive for Desktop and provided users with a guided tutorial for the transition to Drive for Desktop. Since 18 August, Google Drive has been pushing notifications to Backup and Sync users to switch to Drive for Desktop. On 1 October, Google Drive officially shut down the Google Backup and Sync for Windows, Mac and other systems, and users will not be able to log in to Backup and Sync.
Google Drive for Desktop is an integration of all users of both Backup and Sync and Google Drive File Stream applications. Before, Backup and Sync's user base was primarily personal users, while Google File Stream's user base was primarily business users.
Differences Between Backup and Sync and Drive for Desktop
Since the official solution provided by Google Drive is Drive for Desktop, Backup and Sync users need to know the difference between the two apps and compare them in different aspects.
Use native apps, like Microsoft Office & Photoshop
See who's editing with real-time presence in Microsoft Office
Integrates with Microsoft Outlook, Meet scheduling
Sync other folders, like Documents or Desktop
Use with your personal Google Account
Use with your work or school Google Account
Upload photos and videos to Google Photos
Backup and sync syncs and stores content on your computer, while Google Drive for desktop streams all your files from the cloud. This is the biggest difference between the two apps.
2 Alternatives to Google Drive Backup and Sync for Windows
Therefore, if users want to continue uploading files from desktop to Google Cloud, they can choose to use an alternative to Backup and Sync for Windows. Here we provide an introduction of 2 alternatives to Google Drive Backup and Sync. Read on to choose the better choice to replace Backup and Sync for Windows 11/10/8/7/Vista/XP.
Alternative 1. Drive for Desktop
Drive for Desktop may be the option that most users will choose. Drive for Desktop is a new application provided by Google Drive. It lets you access data from the cloud directly on your computer so which saves much local storage space. As a Google app, Drive for Desktop can integrate with Microsoft Outlook and Meet scheduling, which means you can see who is editing a shared Microsoft Office file.
If you decide to switch to Drive for Desktop, here are simple guidelines to use it:
1. Download and install Drive for Desktop, open it and click on the Sign in with browser to log into your account.
2. Then, a Google Drive hard disk will be generated on your computer. Drive for Desktop allows you to add 4 accounts to it and each account will generate a hard disk. You can tell them from the last drive letters.
3. Press the Google Drive icon on your taskbar. Click on the Settings icon > Preferences. Select Add Folder to upload folders to Google Drive or Google Photos.
4. If you do not want the data to take up your computer storage space, you can select the Stream files option. Then Google Drive will save your data on the cloud only, not taking up your local storage space.
Alternative 2. CBackup
Another alternative to Backup and Sync for Windows is CBackup. CBackup is a free cloud backup service for Windows operating system. Like Backup and Sync, CBackup provides a PC to cloud backup feature. You can backup all kinds of files to Google Drive directly for free. What's more, you can set up auto-backup with CBackup with its Schedule Backup feature.
You can back up files from PC to Google Drive with these steps below:
1. Download and launch CBackup desktop app on your computer. Run it and sign up for an account.
2. Select the Storage tab. Add and authorize your Google Drive account to CBackup,
3. Click on the Backup tab > Backup PC to Public Cloud button to create a new backup task.
4. Select local files that you want to back up to Google Drive. Pick Google Drive as the target location of the backup. Then click on the Start Backup button to backup files to Google Drive easily.
☛Note: You can set up an auto-backup by using Scheduler. Just go to Settings and choose one schedule mode from the 4 different modes. Then CBackup will back up your files with a certain frequency you select. The feature can save you time and effort.
Additionally, if you want to switch from Google Drive to another cloud drive, you do not need to worry about data migration. CBackup also lets you sync files from cloud to another directly, for example, move file from Google Drive to Dropbox/OneDrive.
What’s more, if you have not enough cloud storage but do not want to pay for a subscription plan, you can use the New Combined Cloud feature provided by CBackup to gain more cloud storage space. First of all, add your different cloud drive or several accounts from the same cloud drive, use the new combined cloud feature to combine. Then you can merge these cloud drive accounts together, including Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, to get larger cloud storage space for free, and then backup files to the combined cloud.
After reading this article, we think you have found the best free alternative to Backup and Sync for Windows. If you still do not how to make the decision, why not try CBackup for the Windows system? It is so professional in the backup field and supports many other useful features as well.
Get Unlimited Cloud
Storage for Free to Protect Files with CBackup